Scuba diver injured by powerboat off Boca Raton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat Launches provide endless entertainment.

Better than a icy approach to a ski lift. :wink:

On any given day one can witness the beginning of the end for multiple relationships.

Tobin

Deploy your SMB at the beginning of your stop.....really helps a lot
Worth a try. Last trip to Cozumel, we were on one of the north reefs, one of the divers sent his up so we grouped around him, listening to the approaching boat, watching to see if he was really going to run it over. It came very close. The guy on the reel was holding gently by two fingers.

If you can hear anything, stay down. Then scan all directions quickly upon surfacing.

I always make sure I am a little overweighted so I can duck quickly if needed. The hell with that eye level with empty BC and 500 psi tank - I want down when I want down. I can get up other ways.

Last edited:
This is horrible to hear. I also hope he fully recovers. A question does come to mind though: Why don't we hear of this happening elsewhere, such as Hawaii, Cozumel, the Bahamas, Cayman Islands? Are there just more careless boaters in Florida?

As mentioned above the ratio of rec boaters to divers is a big factor. Add to that the fact that pretty much the whole coast for several counties is a huge dive site.

Take a quick look at the SE coast of Florida with Google.

You have the potential for divers literally everywhere up and down the coast, from the shallows within 30~50 yards off the sand, going west for a mile or two.

As far as the boaters, you have so so many houses on canals with access to the inlets with a boat in their backyard, some of them very far inland. Add a bunch of ramps for all those who trailer their boats, I don't know the actual #'s but it is huge.

Typically most of these boats go through "idle-no wake- or slow" zones pretty much all the way from either their backyard or the ramp all the way to the inlet.
As it is, it seems like 99% of boaters believe they have to go balls to the wall in order to get on a plane and stay on that plane, even if it means getting beat up like a hardheaded mule. Imagine how they react after 40 minutes (sometimes more) of idle speed once they reach the inlet. The answer is: they go balls to the wall.

I believe that every knows there are divers out there, everyone of those boaters know what a dive flag looks like, but when it comes to their freetime, going out in their boat, somehow their brains get busy with something else.

Fingers can be pointed in many directions but considering that divers are the ones that tend to loose each time there is a diver-boat interaction I would suggest that divers take responsibility over this situation and don't become a victim.

First of all, how about stop abusing dive flags? If one does not have a diver down put the darn flag away. Is the need to tell the world we are divers so great, one has to paint a dive flag in the hull of the boat? I wish it was legal to shoot dive flags in the inter-coastal.
Rec boaters don't respect dive flags because divers themselves don't respect the dive flags. Some divers are as bad as DOT people in I-95, they have signs for construction but no one is there working.

Another thing divers can easily do. Be aware of your surrounding, you are in SE Florida so know that there is a lot of boat traffic, pay attention protect yourself, assume you are in a shipping channel because for all practical purposes, you pretty much are.
Somebody say deploy and SMB, sure do that, but don't do like the old farts in their Lincolns n Cadillacs that put the turn signal and proceed to change lanes without looking. An SMB is a wonderful tool but can't stop a boat.

The best protection for a diver in this area, is the boat they are diving from, have an operator that will guard your flag. Unlike your flag, SMB, shoulder or your head, a boat CAN stop another boat.

All good points, I agree that divers need to take part of the responsibility, however if I'm on the surface with a group of first time OW students, what are the odds that I can get ALL of them back down in time to avoid a knucklehead who is just cruising along at full tilt blaring the radio and oblivious to the fact that he may be about to kill people???

I sent this note to the author of the article and a similar one to the FWC Commissioners yesterday.

On Jan 25, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Wes Gruver <wesgruver@yahoo.com> wrote:

Alexia,

I enjoyed reading your article on the boating accident this week in South Florida. It was good of you to bring this sort of tragedy to light, however it really begs the question; &#8220;Why does this keep happening here in South Florida so often?&#8221; If a Serial killer chopped up 22 people with a boat propeller over the past 4 years the national media would have it on the front page every day. This kind of thing happens all too often and NOTHING comes of it.

As a SCUBA Instructor and part time Dive Boat Captain I&#8217;m on or in the water every weekend and see the craziest things every time we are out there. I do see signs all over the boat ramps and waterways warning boaters to slow down for manatees. This is great, HOW ABOUT SIGNS AT EVERY MARINA AND BOAT RAMP AND INLET WARNING BOATERS to slow down for divers?

A local diver, Rob Murphy, lost both of his legs in 2009 after being run over by a man driving a large sport fish boat at a high rate of speed in a diving area. Turns out the boat owner and driver (ironically himself a Doctor), Ran over Rob and never slowed down. He went to court and got off with a $500 fine? Really, the man lost his legs!

Nicosia on trial for marine accident involving Rob Murphy : Treasure Coast Photo Galleries : TCPalm.com: Local Treasure Coast, Florida News Delivered Throughout the Day.

The action plan is simple. We need to push for more boater education, more signs, and AGGRESSIVE enforcement of the existing dive flag laws. Slap some people in JAIL and cause some public outrage, get some coverage on this or one of us is NEXT!

State law requires boaters to stay at least 100 feet away from a scuba divers flag within a river, inlet or channel. In open waters, boats must make a reasonable effort to stay 300 feet away from the flag. Within that area they must move at idle speed.

Between 2004 and 2009, a total of 22 scuba divers in Florida were injured or killed when run over by a boat, according to FWC.

WHEN WILL IT END???

Thank You,

Wes Gruver
Mobile 804.714.4006

Try this little experiment; Jump in your 22 foot center console in Miami and try to run up the waterway WFO (Wide Freakin' Open) all the way to West Palm. Won't happen, you WILL get busted sooner or later for a wake zone violation by one of the many LE divisions who are assigned to preserve and protect boats from getting rocked while at the dock.

Now try this; jump in that same boat and run up the beach about 300 yards offshore WFO, run over as many people as you can and see how far you get on the same trip. Guess what, more likely than not, you will make it all the way without getting stopped once.

While you are at it, try to approach within 100 yards of a cruise ship in Port Everglades, a USCG boat will roll up on you with a M60 Machine Gun fully manned! Fact is, terrorists have never hurt anyone in Port Everglades, yet the bulk of our LE attention is focused in and around this area. There are not less than 5 Law Enforcement Agencies that will bust you in the port; FWC, USCG, FLPD, BSO and the Dept. of Homeland Defense. Where are these fine folks when divers are getting buzzed EVERY minute out on the water?

What&#8217;s more important? No wake zone enforcement or Dive Flag Enforcement? I would LOVE to see the statistics on how many tickets are given out annually in FL to boaters for these 2 infractions. Make the fines for dive flag violations severe then aggressively enforce them and the various LE agencies could triple their annual budgets just through ticket revenue alone, until people catch on, and that&#8217;s kind of the point here.

I respect our LEO&#8217;s, they work hard at a tough and thankless job that most of us would never want to do. However, it&#8217;s high time the LEADERSHIP in these agencies sit down and look at their priorities and find out a way to PROTECT PEOPLE from getting killed needlessly from pure ignorance of the law on the part of some boaters.

Check out the FWC &#8220;Guiding Principles&#8221; as set forth in their 2010-2011 &#8220;Strategic Vision and Framework&#8221; document available online:

&#8220;Protection of Florida&#8217;s resources, residents and visitors is our top priority.&#8221;

Further, it goes on in their &#8220;Core Mission&#8221; Statement:

2. Boating and waterways
  • Boating rules and regulation enforcement
  • Boating safety campaigns and education
  • Boating access
  • Water management
  • Accurate signage
  • Derelict vessel identification and removal
  • Vessel theft and title fraud investigation

It looks great on paper, however, we need to hold the LEADERSHIP of this organization accountable for NOT aggressively enforcing dive flag laws.
Fire some people up, get them pissed off. I would LOVE to hear from Col. Jim Brown, the head of the FWC LE Division, tell me Colonel WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THIS???

Last edited:
Boat Launches provide endless entertainment.

Better than a icy approach to a ski lift. :wink:

On any given day one can witness the beginning of the end for multiple relationships.

Tobin
Absolutely!

I've owned boats docked at Aqualand and Sunrise marinas, north of Atlanta, for many years... I have *no* idea why the boat ramp escapades haven't shown up on America's Funniest Home Videos --

And unfortunately, watching the "talent" you see at those launches, it's amazing we don't hear of even more of these incidents.

Was there any word on the extent of the arm/shoulder injuries to the diver?

The action plan is simple. We need to push for more boater education, more signs, and AGGRESSIVE enforcement of the existing dive flag laws. Slap some people in JAIL and cause some public outrage, get some coverage on this or one of us is NEXT!

WHEN WILL IT END???

Out of those suggestions I think only the part of getting some coverage may work, and even that has the potential to turn for the worse.

Manatees are cute and most of the people defending them have never actually encounter their strength underwater, so in their mind they are totally defenseless. You can never compare a bunch of divers that who knows, they may even been damaging the reefs, or spearing pretty jewfish, or taking too many lobsters, or whatever argument you want to spin in order to make divers look bad.

Since we are not wildlife it isn't reasonable to have FWC protect us, we have the potential to be bombers so forget Homeland Defense. USCG will help you... right after you get hurt, not before.
PD's BSO and other Sheriff's departments ? hmmmm yeah kinda, ok I'll give you that, however you don't see many of them outside the inlets. Can you see the reports? [Sheriff deputies caught sunning themselves outside the Hillsboro Inlet, they claim to be guarding dive flags.]

Look at the demographics we are dealing with, most of these boaters have a lot of financial influence, I don't have an attorney in my contacts list, but the doctor who run over Mr Murphy had one good to go in a matter of moments.

You want to make an issue that reaches the media for real? You need to hit the reckless boaters where it hurts. A fine here and there will do nothing, they risk BUI's the instant their boats hit the water, the "operating a vessel within X yards of a dive flag" ticket is just a delay on their weekend.
You will have their attention when they spill their drink with your wake, because you literally shove them out of their path as they were barreling into a flag. If they are so distracted they don't drastically change course as you block their way then you brace yourself for impact and hope for the best.

Several of those events WILL get the public's attention, then it will come to who has better communication skills (read better attorneys) . It may turned out into a:
---filthy rich reckless boater was stopped while attempting to run over a poor defenseless diver... or
---The poor recreational boater was viciously rammed by some gang divers while peacefully cruising the coast with his family which includes a quadriplegic sister in law right after attending Sunday's mass.

It is high time for leadership on agencies.... would be nice. Every agency in Florida is up to their eyeballs with budget problems, they can only put out fires for now, and a couple of divers getting run over a year doesn't even qualify as a tiny flame.

I don't think this will ever end but WE can slow it way down by taking care of ourselves, and by not being victims waiting to be saved by others.
... you know, following the same lines as planing your dive, as opposed to wait for the DM to tell you what, how, where and for how long to dive.

WetDawg I quoted your post but my ideas are not personally directed to you, I share your outrage and I hope the diver recovers soon and whatever happened doesn't screw the rest of his life. I just don't think is practical to wait until some faceless agency figures out a solution, for sure I think is silly for one to think "I have a flag = I'm safe"

Ana,

I not saying we are defenseless victims who need to be protected. Of course we need to take personal responsibility and make sure we are safe when we surface. Boat Captains down here all know how to act as a "Rodeo Clown" to get between the bull and the cowboy (aka - divers and on coming boat) to block boaters from hitting divers, however this can be hard on larger boats with lots of flags in the water that get spread out.

Check out the FWC “Guiding Principles” as set forth in their 2010-2011 “Strategic Vision and Framework” document available online:

“Protection of Florida’s resources, residents and visitors is our top priority.”

Further, it goes on in their “Core Mission” Statement:

2. Boating and waterways
Boating rules and regulation enforcement
Boating safety campaigns and education
Boating access
Water management
Accurate signage
Derelict vessel identification and removal
Vessel theft and title fraud investigation

Fact is part of the FWC mission is to enforce boating laws, including dive flag laws. Check out the weekly action reports posted online, They spend way more time ticketing people for being over the limit on mangrove snapper than protecting people. And that is sad.

The point is I see boaters getting pulled over for all kinds of nonsense, but rarely see them getting stopped for buzzing dive flags. This is a crime that leads to serious injury and/or death and should be addressed.

Budget issues for the entire State could be fixed in ONE WEEKEND with ticket revenue from all the yahoos that I see out there flying by me!

Why not require a boating license to own/operate a boat in Florida. Or better yet convert that ticket of "operating a Vessel within close proximity to a dive flag" to "attempted manslaughter." A boat with propellers is a deadly weapon that can kill anyone who is in the water with it. An argument could be made that operating said deadly weapon in close proximity to those who are in the water is an attempt at causing an accidental fatality or at the very least attempted grievous bodily harm.

If I drive my car on the sidewalk which clearly has pedestrians on it I can see myself getting charged with attempted grievous bodily harm or worst.

This shouldn't be viewed as a ticket-able offense; serious harm can be caused to other people as a result of violating territory around the dive flag.

Additionally on the flip-side: Why not ticket divers/boats who show a dive flag when no-one is in the water? Even if a dive flag is displayed at worst it is an inconvenience to other boats, but no-one can die as a result of it being displayed.

Now I have a new thing to worry about. I mean no disrespect to the people involved and hope for a speedy recovery, but as someone who has not done much Florida diving, I am curious how this sort of thing happens. Obviously I hope to avoid it. I've always felt like I was adequately cautious if I just look up on my ascent and make sure the surface is clear and that I don't hear props. Obviously if you are already on the surface and a boat comes fast, you can't really outswim it, but it seems like on the surface you should be fairly visible. Any thoughts or tips for divers?

Back
Top Bottom