PADI Diving Society

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Megalomegalodon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I get an email every other week about joining the PADI Diving Society. Who here is a member and what benefits do you really get. I know you get a free bag, membership card and a magazine subscription. They also say up to $80,000 in savings for gear, trip and training. Is it really worth it aside from the magazine subscription and the bag that looks OK but may be real cheap once I'm holding it in my hands.

I am a PADI diving society member, mainly because I wanted the subscription to Sport Diver Magazine. For a $12 fee I feel the mag is definatly worth the money, I read them from cover to cover and always find new gadgets I just need to have. The bag is just a thin nylon carry-on type bag with the PADI logo screened on but it is pretty much free with the subscription anyway. As far as society member benefits, I have not used anything yet. Some of the "Special Deals" seem not too beneficial to me such as purchase BCD, Regs, fins and wetsuit from so and so and receive mask and snorkel absolutly free. I would still recommend the subscription though and who knows, maybe sometime I will use the members savings.

I paid $19 for the magazines and free bag a couple years ago. I have always used that "free" bag for my weights (22 lbs.), mask, save-a-dive kit, CPR mask, reel, SMB, and other stuff like that. Only one small tear along the zipper and some rust on the zippers but it has held up surprisingly well.

The magazines are nice to flip through but there isn't really much educational material - it's a lot of fluff and pretty pictures. After a few issues everything repeats (in some form or another). There wasn't a whole lot of variety.

It's just a fancy name for a magazine subscription, with a ok promo bag of the quality that's a common giveaway by magazines and charities.

When I used to subscribe I looked though the discounts offered and never found anything I could use, or any deals that weren't available elsewhere for that matter. YMMV.

Ditto. I "joined" for the magazine. I also agree that the articles tend to repeat, but so what... I tend to repeatedly dive the same sites! Honestly, it's nice to read and look at the pictures when your local conditions are far from the tropical paradise's pictured and every once in a while something new pops up.

I'll certainly second the fact that the "savings" and "offers" are really not appealing. They are either for some junk that you really don't want, or require you to spend a substantial amount of money for the discount or special offer.

I forgot to mention, I also got a free PADI hat because I happened to do my Nitrox cert. during the "Speciality of the Month" promo. It's good for boat cover during the summers. It's bright red, too.

I don't think I would ever renew my subscription past that first year though still.

Since 1999, joined for going on their trips to meet divers. Now, my diving family is off the hook. With PADI DS members have been to Roatan, Bora Bora, Tahiti, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Belize. Saved a ton of money traveling as a group. Made great Sport Diver and PADI diving family friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom