Missing Diver at Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This isn't completely accurate. I'm part of a non-LE organization that handles all recoveries/rescues because most LE divers are not trained or capable of performing the recoveries we do. These recoveries occur in caves and to depths beyond recreational limits. IUCRR

Rob, how wide-spread is IUCRR? While I can imagine a large contingent around the Florida cave systems due to the specialty diving, where else are the 'pockets' of IUCRR divers?

I think that this unfortunate incident should be discussed for learning opportunities at some point in the future but without more information (experience of the diver, the equipment he was using, what his computer might have to tell us on his recovery, how much weight he was carrying on his bc, etc.) it is premature to discuss it in this way beyond pure news information gathering. The longer this goes on the harder it is on everyone, the searchers, the family and friends and everyone else concerned here. Just my $.02. Please don't flame.

This will all come out in the end. It is being withheld right now for the investigation. The computer will have a lot on info in it as will the amount of air in his tanks, equipment configuration and location. You don't deserve to get flamed for that - we all feel the same way.

"This isn't completely accurate. I'm part of a non-LE organization that handles all recoveries/rescues because most LE divers are not trained or capable of performing the recoveries we do. These recoveries occur in caves and to depths beyond recreational limits."

Isn't that what I just said:shakehead:

This is why LE does not have "joe citizen" just walking up to scene and trying to offer assistance. Thank you Captain Obvious

When I was in Cochise County (in AZ) the SO had one deputy that was trained to dive - that was their "team" then. I volunteered, as they had a process to apply. Seemed that they just went up to other LE offices rather than maintain a volunteer team. When it comes to recovery, that's not an issue. But if you're talking immediate response, southern Cochise County is quite a ways from the closest major city. Things might have changed, but that's the way it was in the 90's.

A friend of mine was a serious caver, who volunteered with the county also. She was called on to assist in a situation, but only because she was also on the volunteer roster an hour away in Tucson as well. She got called in as part of that team.

In NE Texas, the county team embraced my offer. They employed my skills where they could, and didn't involve me in aspects that weren't appropriate. Given that their diving experience was somewhat varied with some of them being very new, this was a very good approach, IMHO.

I do understand legal implications involved here, but the risks can be mitigated IF the agency looks for potential talent BEFORE an incident, and begins the process of establishing an augmenting force to their full-time crew.

"This isn't completely accurate. I'm part of a non-LE organization that handles all recoveries/rescues because most LE divers are not trained or capable of performing the recoveries we do. These recoveries occur in caves and to depths beyond recreational limits."

This is why LE does not have "joe citizen" just walking up to scene and trying to offer assistance. Thank you Captain Obvious

Dude, the sarcasm isn't necessary.

I'm hearing two parts to this story.
* In some places, the sheriff contracts to an outside agency for highly technical recovery.

* In other places, non-LE, volunteer organizations are recognized partners to LE.

There is nothing 'obvious' nor intuitive about that.

Not the way I read it. :shakehead:

I don't understand this statement...probably because that's not what I stated should happen.

When I was in Cochise County (in AZ) the SO had one deputy that was trained to dive - that was their "team" then. I volunteered, as they had a process to apply. Seemed that they just went up to other LE offices rather than maintain a volunteer team. When it comes to recovery, that's not an issue. But if you're talking immediate response, southern Cochise County is quite a ways from the closest major city. Things might have changed, but that's the way it was in the 90's.

A friend of mine was a serious caver, who volunteered with the county also. She was called on to assist in a situation, but only because she was also on the volunteer roster an hour away in Tucson as well. She got called in as part of that team.

In NE Texas, the county team embraced my offer. They employed my skills where they could, and didn't involve me in aspects that weren't appropriate. Given that their diving experience was somewhat varied with some of them being very new, this was a very good approach, IMHO.

I do understand legal implications involved here, but the risks can be mitigated IF the agency looks for potential talent BEFORE an incident, and begins the process of establishing an augmenting force to their full-time crew.

You'll be glad to know that has changed, then. Eric Brooks, of ProTech Scuba, trains the Cochise County SAR guys, who also train with Tucson. The diver density is still pretty sparse, but they work Lakes Parker and Patagonia. Eric has a brother in whatever County Lake Havesu is in, and Eric goes out there to train them, as well.

All others west of the Mississippi in one lump, huh? :scorned:

Of course, that's why Sheriff Joe doesn't have any smart guys advising him. :shakehead:

JAX - you're really toeing the line on this one. You are taking a small amount of information and blowing it into broad and general statements. MCSO Posse has at least one VERY capable, seasoned diver who is a trimix instructor, cave diver and firefighter. They will call him first.

If you are interested in doing something about this, you can contact the Posse, attend their meetings and learn as you go. To imply that a recreational diver can effectively advise SAR divers on how to improve their processes is ignorant, conceited and just plan dumb.

"It's better to keep quiet and have people assume you know nothing rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom