Dive Computer or Padi Rescue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyrowill

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

New to this forum so thought I'd say hi!

I also have a question, I have about £300 and at a dilemma, I'm currently doing my advanced but plan on eventually going to hse scuba commercial, I am wondering should I spend the cash on a dive computer, lookin at suunto d4, or should I invest in the padi rescue course?

Any input would be great!
Thanks
Will

Welcome to SB. Great to have long term goals. Experience diving with a computer is very good thing. Perhaps get the computer and dive as much as you can and come back to rescue course later on. Commercial diving and Tech will be a ways off. Why a D4? A Zoop will do you fine and save a bit of money. If you go commercial the money you spend on a Zoop will just be a drop in the bucket.

Welcome to SB. Great to have long term goals. Experience diving with a computer is very good thing. Perhaps get the computer and dive as much as you can and come back to rescue course later on. Commercial diving and Tech will be a ways off. Why a D4? A Zoop will do you fine and save a bit of money. If you go commercial the money you spend on a Zoop will just be a drop in the bucket.
If he really plans to go commercial and tech, then he should go ahead and get a computer that can handle gas switching, I thought.
The Zoop is a solid recreational computer, so if he stays with rec, it's good.

Thanks for the feedback guys, firstly I do plan on the commercial route but only to part 4, I work in the film industry and so require the commercial hse scuba work in media underwater in the uk. I don't plan on doing offshore/deep/sat/tech stuff so gas switching isn't really necessary.

I thought of the d4 since it has the nitrox mode and freedive mode and looks quite nice too, looks prevailed :wink:. And I'm fine to wait till I've finished my advanced to re evaluate the situation, I was just curious given the choice rescue or computer, which one to go for?

Thanks for all your responses

I'd go computer- you will get a lot of use out of it. Being familiar with your computer will also be a good advantage while filming underwater (photographer here, and while I don't do underwater yet, I know how I am on land and getting the shot sometimes takes priority over your situational awareness and surroundings). Rescue class is a nice course that really rounds out your basic diving skill set, but it can wait if funds are the issue. Important to your work, it does emphasize self rescuing/redundancy and what to do incase of an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom