Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drmbloom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ocean Frontiers which is on the East side (east of Bodentown) and were recently mentioned in Sport Diver, is a truely excellent operation as well as a diver's destination resort at Compass Point Resort. They run several boats (each with fewer than a dozen divers) staffed by friendly pro's who draw maps of the underwater structure at each site then lead dives on the prestine walls. Before the dives they will rig, and then dip and store your gear after the dives; have a videographer; and do a weekly beach BarBQ and show diver movies. Good prices and excellent service.

Have dove with them every year since 2004. They are a great operation. WIll pretty much let you do your own thing within reason. Will be doing my first dive of 2 weeks qwith them on July 10. Anyone else going to be there between 7/10 and 7/22?

Just got back from 9 days of diving with OF, staying at Compass Point. Outstanding.

We dove with them last summer, and while looking for a place to go this summer, decided to go back. You know how sometimes your expectations don't live up to your memories? Not in this case. It was even better this year.

The first two days we caught the end of a week of stormy weather, but after that, we had great dive conditions. Water temperatures between 83 and 85 on all dives. No need for skins or suits - shorts and shirt were fine.

The staff were outstanding, and did a great job of giving us a variety of dive experiences. Agreed that you can do anything you want within reason. Once the crew is comfortable with you as a diver they give you the option at each site of going guided or on your own.

Our last dive of the trip was a shallow dive at Ironshore Gardens. Great dive, with lots of coral and reef life, tons of fish, and a great swim through / cave section full of silversides. Also a resident grouper that had to have been five feet. Very, very cool way to finish our trip.

Can't wait to go back, and look forward to reading lots more reviews.

Ocean Frontiers is top notch.

Just got back from diving three days with them. (one day cancelled due to weather) Dove with them last year and brought the whole family down this year. They did exceed their 12 divers max rule a few times, but it wasn't by more than one or two and it was probably because our group of 7 took up most of one boat. The conditions have been better for diving, (current, rain, waves) but east end is far better than any other area on cayman. They did the best they could given the conditions and vast difference in experience in our group.

Well, except for babylon. Shore dove that and it remains what it has always been. Amazing.

Have dived with OF several times a year over the past 10 years. My husband and I would try other places (St Lucia, Roatan, Cozumel) but just kept coming back due to their great customer service and diving so we just purchased a condo at their operation (Compass Point) and will make our first trip to our new vacation home in late September. Check our their new sister web site at Scuba Diving, Kiteboarding, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Paddle Boarding & Owning Real Estate in the Cayman Islands - Welcome to Your Adventure in the Cayman Islands which describes all of the activites and the ability to own your own little piece of paradise. Can you tell I am a little bit excited? :bounce3:

Staying at "The Reef" on the East end the first week in November. The resort recommends Red Sail but I may want to use Ocean Frontier instead. Anyone used both and can compare them?

Jeff
3 days til Tobermory Wreck dive Weekend

Use Ocean Frontiers.

Only used Redsail once for a Stingray city trip. Generic,high volume,run of the mill .

OF are one of the best ops in the Caribbean. Have done maybe 30 dives with them. Best recreational dives I have ever been on.Simply stunning.

Ocean Frontiers used to be the recommended shop at the Reef - they had a satellite shop of sorts there and used their pool for training. But it looks like that is no longer the case and the Reef now has a business partnership with Tortuga Divers (Red Sail) at Morritt's. "Recommended" in this case just means that's their current business partnership and has nothing to do with quality or where you should pick. (Once upon a time Ocean Frontiers was a standalone op with a dock a few miles down the road from the Reef and Morritt's. They didn't have the CP condos they've since built and continue to build, or their own pool to do training. So it made sense for them to be involved with the Reef. Probably doesn't make sense for OF any longer, doesn't seem like they have much trouble filling their boats and in fact they probably need the space for people staying at CP. Really they're now competitors, and it doesn't make sense for the Reef either.

I've used Ocean Frontiers and they're one of the best ops I've seen. I have not used Tortuga Divers but they don't have quite the same great reputation. Red Sail is thought of as a cattleboat op, whether that is an issue with the Tortuga branch I don't know. It does seem newer divers are more inclined to like them than experienced divers. So I'd say use OF. They'll pick you up and it's not much less convenient than walking one resort over to Morritt's. If they didn't pick me up I'd drive. OF has a great setup for storing and taking care of your gear. I'm unclear what Tortuga has or does but it didn't seem as convenient unless they have changed things.

It's been years since I was there, but my experience may be helpful.

I went with no advance research and stayed at the resort at which Tortuga Divers is located. I went with them because they were there. We flew in that morning from Cayman Brac, and I did an afternoon dive. The DM announced that we would do a 35 minute dive. We followed him like rats following the Pied Piper, and surfaced at exactly 35 minutes. I had half the air left in my tank. I learned from others that what I had just experienced was a taste of my week to come.

I immediately began researching and found Ocean Frontiers. I made the switch and had a fabulous week of diving.

I saw that 5-6 minutes of research on just about any web site would have told me what I needed to know. That was the experience that taught me to research dive operators very carefully before making a commitment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom