What is the cost of a DIR drysuit with all accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanbeing

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I'm on a tight budget, and did have some money saved for a suit, but had to spend the savings on an unexpected necessity. How much does this thing cost? I've heard as much as $3700.

Thanks!

I bought my first suit for around $600 (used). It came with pockets, but I later replaced one (I didn't like the zippered one). Someone gave me the pocket, so that was free. I added a p-valve a year later ($120?). My last suit (also used) was around the same price (with pockets and p-valve). Undergarments were a few hundred. I also added dry gloves (another $100). You'll also need a dry suit hood ($50).

I'm sure if you tried, you could spend a lot more.

That would be one fine suit!

appx $2,000 would be a pretty good price... $3700 would be very expensive... i'd expect a happy ending for that kind of price...

There's a "DIR suit"? I think I missed the memo...

Shopping around, knowing what you are getting you can do pretty good and get something which will work fine. The HOG suits, for instance, aren't perfect (no suit is) but come with pockets, fit fairly trim, and seem like a good value. Add a suitable undergarment and you can be in good shape for quite a bit less than $2K. The Fusion can also be a decent value, along with Diving Concepts and several others - all can be "DIR" if you are really hung up on that moniker.

You really only need decent velcro pockets and generally speaking a shell suit with appropriate undergarments (although compressed neoprene can be appropriate in some environments). All the other bells and whistles are subject to interpretation.

When you say, "decent velcro pockets" does that mean that Zipper pockets are not the preferred choice among DIR divers in search of a drysuit?

Just curious...

When you say, "decent velcro pockets" does that mean that Zipper pockets are not the preferred choice among DIR divers in search of a drysuit?

Just curious...

For many. I personally prefer zipper. That said will do zipper or velcro on the HOG or EDGE drysuit(whatever the cust wants)

The one thing I've learned in diving is that it isn't a good deal or price if it doesn't do what you want it to.

If you haven't already done so, suggest you take some time to decide what it is you want out of your dry suit (cold water or warm water or both, dry gloves, pockets, front vs rear entry, latex vs neoprene seals, type -and corresponding bulk - of insulation you plan on using, where you're going to be walking and what type of boot or shoe you need, etc.) and then look for the best deal on the suit that fits the bill. If it costs $1,000 but doesn't work or doesn't fit you, then you just threw away $1,000. If it cost $3,000 and helps you dive well, then you made a good investment. (That's not to be confused with the more you spend the better things are - a great diving myth of course).

If you're serious about diving, then spend what it takes to get what you need. You will be living in it for the next 10 years or so if you take care of it and keep on diving. Plus a quality suit does have a reasonably good resale market, should your diving plans change down the road.

I needed a really tough suit for work purposes, so after a little shopping around I found a used, CLX450 with undergarments, dry gloves, and Rock Boots- all in excellent condition for $1700. Sure beats the 3 grand that DUI wanted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom