Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you own a Gopro ?
I had a standard definition GoPro Hero Wide camera and now have the HD version. I've had the HD version down to 130 feet. Many hours of video recorded over at least 50 dives!

Here is link to photo of me using GoPro camera to capture video of a tarpon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevreid/4444912454/in/set-72157623524188103/

Here is link to video of diver taking photo of me making video of tarpon (watch for strobe flash): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MHBvwQkMIA

Another photo of GoPro camera in use, me and turtle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevreid/4444913076/in/set-72157623524188103/

Last edited:
Man, that GoPro is so tiny, I'm always surprised when I see it in action.

As an aside, it's interesting to me that nearly every video I've seen uploaded from the GPHD is in small, standard definition size. Nobody seems to upload in 720p or 1080p. I assume this is partially a byproduct of shooting in the widest 960p setting and youtube's determination of what is HD, but the smaller video dimensions also masks the focus issue, making it less noticeable. I'd really like to see more full-res video from this camera.

That's good, did you fix the focus problem on you Gorpo ?
The only fix I know about is "camera in a bag" that will be available later this month from eyeofmine (see discussion above) and one promised by GoPro (could be never).

Nobody seems to upload in 720p or 1080p. I assume this is partially a byproduct of shooting in the widest 960p setting and youtube's determination of what is HD...
I don't know whether it is iMovie or YouTube that takes my 960p video and posts it at 480p.

It doesn't matter too much, it is free, after all and I'm not trying to sell anything. Uploading to Youtube is just for fun and enjoyment.

Last edited:
I don't know whether it is iMovie or YouTube that takes my 960p video and posts it at 480p.

It's Youtube. For the site to recognize and process as HD, you need to convert and upload as either 720p or 1080p 16:9.

Do you think we can develop a lens that can we plug directly to the original lens ?

Hi there,

This question has been probably answered but I did not have the patience to check through every single answer to this thread. As a matter of fact, I have been diving with a GoPro for a while now and you can check the videos here.

It is a great overall camera, but the GoPro wasn't exactly designed to underwater photography, so anything that is under 3 feet will look blurry, mainly because of a physical aberration with its case. I emailed GoPro and they said they would be working on a new case for it. Nevertheless, as I said, it is a great overall camera, tough as a coffin nail (I had it with me on a 40m/130f) and never experienced any problems. It is small enough to have in the BC's pocket, and the battery is just right for an day of boat/shore dives. I would also recommend getting a 8Gb of memory to give it enough space.

Overall, it is worth the price.

Cheers.

Saw this xtreme-dude-mountain-dew helmet cam on Engadget this morning and thought it was pretty cool. Then I actually clicked through to the link and saw the specs (PDF):

1080p 30fps, 720p 60fps
5MP photo mode
f/2.8 lens @ 170 degree wide angle view (above water)
underwater housing: rated to 180ft/60m
2.5h battery life
All for...$270?

You gotta plug the LCD to the back to watch anything (can't do it in water I assume) and there's no zoom, but a superwide, assumedly rugged, 1080p cam with a fast lens and underwater housing for under $300? Plus it looks like they don't try to gouge you on accessory pricing (the plug-in LCD is $50, an extra 1100mAh battery is $20 and...an extra underwater housing is...$40?? :confused::confused:)

For that price, it's gotta have some interesting possibilities, no? The big bummer is no LCD in the housing...

Edit: They say the LCD actually fits inside the housing...now I'm really kinda interested. And the company is local to me too, might have to find some time to stop by...

It's what I say, it's a very good little camera, need to have more accessories for underwater.

Back
Top Bottom