Is this video real? 293ft on air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd posted this vid in another thread, and have been watching it and wondering how on earth this is possible. Apparently this guy dived 293ft on air at the back wall of Molokini crater, if my calculations are correct, 293ft = 9.9 ATM * .21 = 2.08 ppO2, isn't this guy supposed to be pretty dead at that concentration of oxygen? :idk:

The video doesn't appear doctored so care to give any explanations?

YouTube - 293 feet deep(89 meter) by zoli 11.

I don't keep up with records, but I'd be skeptical to rely on any information coming from wikipedia... All the information there is user submitted, and can be doctored a lot easier than any video. What I DO know, is that diving to 200 feet on air is a muy muy malo idea.. Diving to 300?? That's just plain loco, amigo.

In the old days we used to take oxygen tollerance tests. That meant 100% O2 at 60 ft. Figure out the ppO2 for yourself.

I've never been diving in the tropics to have any experience but the water looks really bright to be almost 300 feet down. If anyone can identify the fish that are swimming around than you could find out the depth that they typically live at and see if they are anywhere within their typical depth of choice. :idk:

Not dead, just crazy. I did some poking around on the web and found one site saying the record was 150 METERS which is somewhere around 500 ft. Bounce dive. Rapid descent and ascent. Pretty insane if you ask me. :skull:

I've never been diving in the tropics to have any experience but the water looks really bright to be almost 300 feet down. If anyone can identify the fish that are swimming around than you could find out the depth that they typically live at and see if they are anywhere within their typical depth of choice. :idk:

I've never been to that depth, but I can attest to the light travelling much further. The crater is just off Maui, Hawaii and although I've been to HI several times. I've never dived the crater. It isn't uncommon to have plenty of light at 100+ fsw. 300 though...?

I know a couple of guys who've taken air below 100m, so yeah, it's perfectly possible.

Oh, and I did a bit more sniffing and it looks like Dr. Dan Manion's 509ft record in the Bahamas is legit.

Edit. Light goes down at least as far 190m, this guy told me so - http://www.pacificdivingllc.com/jbmemoriam.html

if my calculations are correct, 293ft = 9.9 ATM * .21 = 2.08 ppO2, isn't this guy supposed to be pretty dead at that concentration of oxygen?

A PPO2 of 2.1 certainly isn't recommended, as mentioned a few times on this thread the missing factor is the time at that PPO2, effectively it's a cumulative concentration which caused CNS oxygen toxicity.

If fact hitting a PPO2 of 2.1 for a few minutes is much less dangerous than hitting a PPO2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for a longer period - tables or software will tell you how long is equivilent :wink: Not that I'd ever recommend getting to a PPO2 of 2.1 :)

You'll generally find most people who have suffered a high PPO2 hit (usually due to incorrect switches on deco bottles) have been breathing that gas for quite a while before they take the hit, it's rarely instantaneous unless you're CNS clock is already full :wink:

So in short, it certainly not unrealistic to get to near 300ft on air and make it back without taking a hit, it's just being plain stupid! In fact posting it on youtube afterward is a bit like telling everyone "I'm stupid and I've got a video to prove it...." Let just hope they don't try to break 300ft next time!

I'd posted this vid in another thread, and have been watching it and wondering how on earth this is possible. Apparently this guy dived 293ft on air at the back wall of Molokini crater, if my calculations are correct, 293ft = 9.9 ATM * .21 = 2.08 ppO2, isn't this guy supposed to be pretty dead at that concentration of oxygen? :idk:

The video doesn't appear doctored so care to give any explanations?

YouTube - 293 feet deep(89 meter) by zoli 11.

At least he had a snorkle with him... just in case!

:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom