Anyone used a Pacsafe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't make a practice of leaving my rig out (Oly E20, 4 lenses, and tons of other heave crapola.) I use this in the Hotel Room. I friggen bolt the thing to the bed frame if I'm stepping out for a day.

I use it in my truck. I'll clamp it to a toe down in the bed inside the cap.

K

I used it for my backpack when I was travelling around Asia. It certainly seemed sturdy enough and allowed me to bolt my bag down in my room, to lamposts, roofracks, or when I just couldn't be bothered carrying it around. I think though it was useful mainly for piece of mind. I will say though that it attracted a lot of attention. It basically shouts out that you've got something nice and valuable inside. At one point I was on a train and had a couple of guys come up to me quite openly with all manner of tools and spend 30 mins 'testing' just how secure it was. Don't really know what they were thinking of as it wasn't like they could steal anything with me standing there but I guess it was just the challenge. Thankfully it passed all their best efforts and they seemed impressed. From then on I started putting a raincover over the top of it just so it wouldn't tempt anyone else to try. In 8 months of bumming around Asia and leaving my bag strapped down in some very dodgy areas, whilst I swanned off for hours, I never had anything stolen. I actually kind of expected to have things half inched at some point but it never happened. Must say something for the Pac-safe!

D

I noticed the same thing. Useful for peace of mind. Heavy, limited use - eg. small things can still be pulled through the gaps. Not something that I would leave on the luggage all the time. I didn't really use it and ended up selling it on a trip to another backpacker.

I guess if you have thousands of dollars of camera equipment, then it's probably worth the extra weight.

I know this is an old thread, but I did not want to start a new thread asking the same thing.

I was wondering if there are any more folks that have tried the PacSafe. I am thinking of buying this bag. Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products Since I am traveling again this year a fair but, this might make me feel a little bit better when I have to leave stuff in my car or hotel room that I cant put elsewhere.

I have the Daysafe 100 and I really like it.
It has the zip-out sleeve with the integrated cable lock. You can leave that zipped in, and run the lock out through a purpose-built hole in the top, but I usually leave that part in my hotel room with things like passports, cell-phones, etc... locked safely away. The rest of the bag is very roomy and carries more than enough (2 jackets, H2O, travel books, iPods, camera) for a day of sightseeing for my wife and me. I am using it for a carry-on on my upcoming trip, and it easily holds 2 reg bags, plus a book, magazines, snacks, etc...
PLUS, it is also slash resistant, snatch resistant (the shoulder straps are cable-reinforced) and it has nifty little snap links that hold the zippers shut and tuck away to where they are easy enough for me to open, but would present a pickpocket with a challenge.
I am thinking about getting a smaller one (messenger bag style) for travel when I don't need to carry as much, but the zip-out "safe" portion will still come along in my checked bag.
Comes with a keyed padlock, which I trashed and instead use a TSA lock off my checked bag once I am unpacked.
-Jim

I have a Pac-Safe for my travel backpack but haven't used it for scuba gear. It's easy to use, but I don't have any evidence that it has actually deterred theft. If one has not been broken into, there's no way to tell why. On the other hand, I'd love to hear if anyone has had their Pac-Safe broken into. It seems to me that it would not deter a crook with a hefty pair of wire/cable cutters or else a lot of time to slice into your bag and carefully fish around inside, but it should certainly deter casual smash-and-grab kinds of crime.

I bought the travel safe 100 and the travel safe 20L. Both seem sturdy enough to withstand the opportunist thief but not the guy with a set of bolt cutters or even a big set of wire snips. I like that it will keep the hotel cleaning and maintance crew out of my stuff. I will keep the smaller bag in my car to keep the GPS and other incidentals safe and use the larger bag to protect the laptop and camera stuff. I know that any semi-decent thief will get through this thing but I will feel better knowing that I did the best I could to keep my stuff secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom