What are the top South Pacific Islands to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltdog55

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a budget long term trip and would like to find out the opinions of others with experience. I want to visit as many unique diving destinations while I'm in the area but I'm also on a budget so I guess I'm looking for destinations that are also a relatively cheap. I appreciate everyone's experience and opinions.

Thank you

So.. Erm.. Where are you?

Fiji and Vanuatu come to mind for "Affordable" and good diving, Tahiti would be nice, but $$$$$$$$$$$$...

Z...

Thailand is pretty good (and inexpensive) diving. I like Fiji, too.

Kiribati (Christmas Island) pronounced Kiribas, reached once a week via Hawaii (flight only, no boats) is a pretty unique site Sometimes listed as Phoenix islands.

Fiji's great for diving, there are budget accoms in Kadavu and probably affordable places on Taveuni.

Forget Vanuatu for the diving except for the pres. Coolidge wreck in Santo, otherwise the archipelago landside is probably the best you can find in the south pacific for genuine culture = PNG+safety

New Caledonia can provide very good diving too, although the place in generally very expensive, you can lodge in bungalows/guesthouses in the outer islands for more affordable prices and the diving may be as good as well.
I know a member of this site is opening a new dive center in Lifou island, which is supposed to cater outstanding diving from all the feedbacks I read, you should consider contacting her for more information.

French polynesia is supposed to be a Mecca for shark diving with places like Fakarava and Rangiroa. Don't expect much with corals though.

Thanks everyone,

I am going to be traveling around the world for awhile and will be starting my trip in Australia and then on to Pacific islands. I am planning on spending alot of time in Thailand and Asia in general but I am now concentrating my research on the Pacific island leg of the trip. Here is the list I put together real quick without much research into each destination. I obviously need to shrink this list down:

New Caledonia
Tonga
Niue
Fiji
Venuatu
Samoa
Cook Islands
French Polynesia
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Solomon Islands

This is an extremely vague list and I am trying to pair it down and get more details on exact destinations for example if the Solomon Islands has great diving which island specifically has great diving sites.

Thank you,
Jason

As others have mentioned, diving in French Polynesia can be frightfully expensive, but it can also be excellent diving especially in the Tuamotu archipelago. Diving in the Society Islands is pretty enough, with lots of sharks, but it's definitely more buck for the bang than you'd spend in Rangiroa or Fakarava which offer "world class" drift dives filled with schools of reef fish and many sightings of pelagics. My one dive in the Marquesas (Hiva Oa) lacked the good visibility of either the Tuamotus or the Society Islands and had strong currents; I understand this is typical of the Marquesas and I wouldn't recommend going all the way out there to dive unless you're adamant about seeing a few endemic species, though the historical significance of several (land) sites in the islands is worth the trip IMO.

The only places I have been in the South Pacific is Fakarava, Moorea and Rangiora which was some of the best diving I have done....might want to look at the Western Pacific like Palau ....been here for two weeks and love it....unfortunately leaving at 1:30 am! Also Kiribati but it was not cheap for crappy accommodations but great diving!

I'm planning a budget long term trip and would like to find out the opinions of others with experience. I want to visit as many unique diving destinations while I'm in the area but I'm also on a budget so I guess I'm looking for destinations that are also a relatively cheap. I appreciate everyone's experience and opinions. Thank you

If you're looking for an inexpensive destination and excellent diving, it's hard to beat some Indonesian spots (though Indo probably doesn't qualify as "Pacific islands"). North coast of Bali is excellent. Komodo is excellent. I'm looking at Alor for an August trip, and that seems to be very reasonably priced.

I believe that the Solomons are dived mainly from liveaboards. Bilikiki(?) is usually mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom