Top Spot Recommendations - Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30M

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All..

I'm new to the diving scene and looking at traveling to Thailand in the next week or two...

Any feed back on the top five spots would be warmly received. I'd be planning up to 3 dive's a day with a recommended dive center and highly qualified staff.

Fly or drive from BKK wouldn't be a problem.

Cheeeeers in advance :)

30M, welcome to the board and to the Thailand branch.

Particularly at this time of year, I would recommend coming to the Andaman Sea side of the country for the best dive sites in Thailand and the most favorable sea conditions. You would fly in from Bangkok to Phuket or to Krabi.

If you are looking at two to three dives a day, you will probably want to do daytrip diving rather than a liveaboard, which typically schedule four dives per day. However, there is no rule that you have to do all four dives--you could still do a liveaboard and skip some of the dives, and you probably wouldn't be the only one aboard doing so (some people don't like to get up early and skip the first dive; some people don't like night diving and skip that one, etc.)

In terms of daytrips, from Phuket you would have the option of diving at the Similans, far off the coast to the north of Phuket Island, or of diving at the nearby islands to the south and southeast of Phuket. From Krabi, you can get daytrips west and south. From both places you can get overnight trips with lodging on Phi Phi.

In terms of liveaboards, it may depend more on your level of proficiency and experience whether that would be a good option for you. If you are a brand-new diver, you might want to wait until you are a little more experienced to undertake that sort of intensive dive adventure, but it certainly does depend on the individual!

30M, welcome to the board and to the Thailand branch.

Particularly at this time of year, I would recommend coming to the Andaman Sea side of the country for the best dive sites in Thailand and the most favorable sea conditions. You would fly in from Bangkok to Phuket or to Krabi.

If you are looking at two to three dives a day, you will probably want to do daytrip diving rather than a liveaboard, which typically schedule four dives per day. However, there is no rule that you have to do all four dives--you could still do a liveaboard and skip some of the dives, and you probably wouldn't be the only one aboard doing so (some people don't like to get up early and skip the first dive; some people don't like night diving and skip that one, etc.)

In terms of daytrips, from Phuket you would have the option of diving at the Similans, far off the coast to the north of Phuket Island, or of diving at the nearby islands to the south and southeast of Phuket. From Krabi, you can get daytrips west and south. From both places you can get overnight trips with lodging on Phi Phi.

In terms of liveaboards, it may depend more on your level of proficiency and experience whether that would be a good option for you. If you are a brand-new diver, you might want to wait until you are a little more experienced to undertake that sort of intensive dive adventure, but it certainly does depend on the individual!

Can you reccomend some of diving centers in Phuket,Kata beach maybe,please. Is there possible a diving daytrip to Similans from Phuket,because Similans are not close to Phuket?
About Phi Phi,is it some 2 hours sailing from Phuket?

One more question,about diving with any of diving center from Phuket. Is diving computer compulsory for diving or bottom timer can be used instead of?

Kruz,

I spent a few days after a liveaboard last Feb.on Phuket and dived with Phuket Scuba Club. They are in the Kata Beach area. I am heading that way in December and looking forward to diving with them again.

You do not need to have a computer, although I would highly recommend one. Depending on sites a max bottom time/depth may be strongly suggested. Without a computer, a bottom timer and correct use of the RDP would be prudent and should be expected practice of any reputable DC IMO.

Hi kruz! I've been following your posts and requests for information in the other threads and it looks like you're beginning to get some idea of what you want to do and where you want to be.

As for dive ops here from Phuket, I prefer to discuss these things privately, so I'll send you a PM. Look in your mailbox here at SB.

Briefly, though, you CAN do daytrips to the Similans from Phuket. It makes for a long day as you have to ride all the way up to Khao Lak (90-120 minutes' journey) to get on a boat, and the speedboat rides themselves are rather long (another couple of hours each way), so for two one-hour dives you leave quite early in the morning and get back quite late in the afternoon, with a lot of travel time involved. You may find it worthwhile, though, as the dive sites are excellent.

For daytrip diving to Phi Phi you would take about an hour each way by speedboat and up to three hours by regular dive boat.

Finally, computers are not compulsory as a rule, and while they are strongly encouraged, there is usually a rental option available.

Hope that helps, and do take a look in your inbox here on SB.

PS I took a look at your thread about diving the island of Vis. Great photos! I love the idea of an archeological dive, finding amphoras in the sand, etc. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to see it in person. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all. Sorry 30M, it's your thread :D
Quero,we will stay in contact.

Its all really been said, particularly this time of year the best Thai diving is in the Andaman.

Hope you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom