Lake Michigan diving Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harold Meyer

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello---can anyone tell me if its OK to just walk into lake michicagan and dive--dive from pulic beaches--if so anything speacial one should know about it---Thank you Harold Meyer

You can shore dive from the beach at the Hammond Marina. The wreck George F. Williams is about 400' offshore. You'll need a dive flag and dive buddy. I checked the water intake temp at work this morning 50 degrees F. I was thinking about trying Sat the14th.

I went with a group from The Scuba Tank (Valpo) this summer. We did a shore dive at Hammond Marina too. We 'tried' to find the wreck but didn't have any luck. It was a nice day to dive but the water was shallow. I think the deepest we were able to dive to was 19'.

Jen

In general your okay. Check local ordinances though. Any place in specific you were thinking about jumping in?

In general, no diving along the Chicago lakefront. I have friends who dive by the Adler Planetarium on New Year's Day.

Evanston, off Greenleaf Street Beach. Illinois Beach State Park, with the park director's permission.

Hope this helps.

I believe it is illegal to scuba dive from a Chicago public beach.
Give it a try and let us know what you see. Hahaha. Just kidding...

Get on a charter and go out to some of the wrecks.
I recommend Windy City Diving. Capt Jim Gentile.

I believe he has one last charter going out this weekend to the "straits of makinac"

As it was said previously, there is no shore diving allowed from Chicago city limits. There is the wreck of the Morely off of Evanston beach. It's a heck of a surface swim and still shallow, around 15 feet deep. There isn't much to see so close to the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom