Gas Colors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100ydacvp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Just thinking here..

So if one thinks of diving with air, we normally go with the red & white dive color.

If we dive out of country, it's the blue & white international color..

If we go nitrox, than it's green & yellow...

has anyone come up with a Trimix color yet?

The red & white flag vs the blue & white flag has nothing to do with breathing gas.

Why would another boat need to know what gas is being used by the divers. That tells it nothing about the navigation restrictions of the boat flying the flags.

The blue and white Alpha flag signifies that the BOAT is limited in its ability to maneuver due to diving operations. It has absolutely nothing to do with the diver in the water. This flag is still required by the Inland rules although I don't see it used very often.

The red and white diver down flag is supposed to indicate the location (within 100' or so) of a diver underwater. Yes, that means you are supposed to drag it along. I doubt that anybody does this but, at least in Nevada, they would be advised to surface very close to that flag.

The green and white diver down flag is not recognized by anybody other than the marketing firm that dreamed it up. If I wanted to be fancy, I might put the green and yellow wrap on the inner-tube but I would use the proper flag.

There are states like Nevada (think eastern Lake Tahoe) that take the diver down flag seriously. Like a $350 fine if you don't have one. I imagine they would not consider the green and white flag to be adequate and I'm not going to be the one to test the theory.

Richard

The red and white diver down flag is supposed to indicate the location (within 100' or so) of a diver underwater. Yes, that means you are supposed to drag it along. I doubt that anybody does this but, at least in Nevada, they would be advised to surface very close to that flag.

In Florida... all the time. It is also the law. In the Keys, this is not generally done, since divers are near the boat. On however, wherever they are in Florida - divers ALWAYS take at least 1 flag per group. (or should be - I've never seen people do without)

As to the OP's question. Well - it's been pretty much answered. ScubaBoard has a forum dedicated to Dive Flag Awareness by the way :)

The only thing for nitrox being Green and Yellow is some paranoid scuba agency thing. I don't mark my nitrox tanks with anything other than my mix percentage. Same for my trimix tanks. Just my mix.

Just thinking here..

So if one thinks of diving with air, we normally go with the red & white dive color.

If we dive out of country, it's the blue & white international color..

If we go nitrox, than it's green & yellow...

has anyone come up with a Trimix color yet?

are you talking about flags or cylinder markings?

Gas is colorless.

Couldn't help myself.

SO...Ahh...Uh...Humm..

All this quick wit that was freely offered and still no one is able to answer the original question..

why do people offer useless knowledge and banter and get so off topic with stuff that no one really cares to know about.

Just a simple:

"Hay 100ydacvp, to my knowledge no one has come up with a color yet to distinguish between Trimix and EAN or even air yet. but if you come up with an idea just post your idea and a jpeg here on scubaboard and get a feel for it, just remember people steal ideas.

that's all that was needed, but as usual you people get so caught up with yourselves its sad.

SO...Ahh...Uh...Humm..

All this quick wit that was freely offered and still no one is able to answer the original question..

why do people offer useless knowledge and banter and get so off topic with stuff that no one really cares to know about.

Just a simple:

"Hay 100ydacvp, to my knowledge no one has come up with a color yet to distinguish between Trimix and EAN or even air yet. but if you come up with an idea just post your idea and a jpeg here on scubaboard and get a feel for it, just remember people steal ideas.

that's all that was needed, but as usual you people get so caught up with yourselves its sad.

The problem might be that your OP really wasn't clear. There are no red/white or blue/white colour schemes for air, so people figured you were talking about dive flags.

Assuming you're talking about tank markings, the industrial standard in Europe (also used by BOC, who supply most industrial gases in the Pacific) is for compressed air cylinders to be black with a green top, but this doesn't apply to diving cylinders. Oxygen is black with a white top, helium is brown, sometimes black with a brown top when it's high purity.

The use of yellow/green markings for nitrox cylinders is purely a dive agency convention, many divers don't bother. I've seen trimix tank stickers in black & white (DSAT) and brown (IANTD), but again, they're just an agency invention and most people mixing trimix just slap a piece of tape on with MOD and mix.

Was that what you were asking?

Grae

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom