Australia or Fiji? October 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is Lizard Island a place you dive on day trips or liveaboards?

Also I have a question about the seas in October...how rough are they if we do a liveaboard? I've read a few posts about the Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball ships, and someone said the seas in September were kind of rough...

I live in Australia (down south in Victoria where we have some great temperate diving). Funnily enough I rarely dive the Barrier Reef! Usually I can dive Fiji or Vanuatu much more conveniently and much more cheaply that the GBR. Apart from Lizard, Heron and Lady Elliott Islands, GBR diving means full day trips offshore, and the best GBR diving is way...way out in Liveaboard territory. When I compare this to short boat trips and a double dive before lunch (Like at Beqa Lagoon Resort), plus the amazing culture of Fiji, then its Fiji for me. And OZdive packages are generally very expensive. Lizard and Heron are quite expensive, with Lady Elliott a much more affordable (albeit more basic) option. But why not try both. I would highly recommend Beqa Lagoon Resort...and warn you to get away from Nadi (fairly ordinary) and the coral coast (ho hum diving) to an offshore island. Naigani is also great, and Wananavu is another very good option. But Beqa is superb value - quite upscale but moderately priced with very affordable dive packages.

Thanks, Wiggsy. I have been looking at Beqa Lagoon, and certainly am intrigued. What time of year have you been there, and did you fly into Nadi or Suva?

Sorry for the late reply - I've been to BLR twice in June/July and had 2 groups also go there in September....Dry season..both are good times though it can be a little cool between dives and you do need a decent 3mm wetsuit (some even wear a hood)....But at least its not humid - but you can get rain anytime in Fiji. We flew into Nadi - then BLR has a coach that does the 3 hour trip (including a shop stop in Sigatoka) round to Pacific Harbour.

Does anyone know the current water temps in Nadi and the Coral Coast? Are divers wearing 3, 5, or 7 mil suits? Is anyone familiar with Reef Safari?

You will find several years worth of very accurate water temperatures at this below web site

Fiji Water Temperature - NAI'A Liveaboard Scuba Diving

Personally I wear no neoprene in Fiji at all, I do wear a full suit (polyolefin) for protection against stingers, scrapes and sun and am never cold . The Polyolefin suit is very comfortable to wear out of the water, so I can get suited up before getting on the boat and not get hot.

In Southern California I wear a 7/6/5 mm neoprene suit in summer and am never cold.

I have checked the NAI'A site and they have not updated the water temps since May, 2009. Any other suggestions?

Hi there. I live and work in Cairns as a dive instructor (since 1991) and have experience with most of the trips there. Also I run a small web booking site that offers discount on the trips there for divers from these forums.

I have also dived both in Fiji (long time ago though) and of course here. I think the main difference is that here the safety standards are extremely high and all operators are monitored. In Fiji it’s a bit hit and miss. You need to do a bit of research into who you could go with their .Also it is still a volatile place politically, so make sure it is safe to travel to the location of your choice.

Lastly here on the Barrier Reef it is a marine park that is protected. Many places in Fiji are still fished, so the marine life is not quite as abundant.

I am obviously a bit biased living and working on the Barrier reef, but also it is not considered one of the natural wonders of the world for nothing!

By the way, in October on the Reef the seas are usually at their calmest with a water temp of around 25 deg C. Sept and Oct are the nicest months to visit as the hot rainy season is a few months away. So its nie and warm, with the seas calm, warm with usually great viz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Main page

Last edited:
A little twist on this discussion - I am planning doing BOTH GBR Liveaboard and Fiji. I live on East Coast of US so after the LONG trip to get to other side of the world, I am doing everything I can.

I know I am going to do Liveaboard in GBR, but what about Fiji? Should I just stay in one place and dive that locale or is it worthwhile (is there a ferry at all) to go between islands? I would love to do liveaboard there, but the cost of two liveaboards will be a bit much for me.

Thanks,
dawn

Back
Top Bottom