breath practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does the practice of holding ones breath (not while diving) for longer and longer periods benefit ones scuba diving in any way ? I know practices like yoga and deep breathing exercises do, but I was wondering about this particular one.

Does the practice of holding ones breath (not while diving) for longer and longer periods benefit ones scuba diving in any way ? I know practices like yoga and deep breathing exercises do, but I was wondering about this particular one.

I do this, as well as swim laps under water, mainly for the exercise and to be more relaxed when "needing a breath". I don't hyperventilate and am not trying for any specific time or distance, merely exercising. I have no idea if there is any physical benefit to this but it does seem relaxing and perhaps adds to my comfort factor. I also, from time to time, do the yoga breathing exercises.

Well, the number one rule of Scuba diving is "never hold your breath". This would help with free diving not sure if any benifit to scuba.

One thing I practice on land, is the continous oooh or ahhh sound, take a deep breath and time how long I can exhale, simulating the CESA. Practice controlling the exhale.

It greatly improves your comfort level, if you need to be without a regulator for a bit. For example, if you lose your reg and have to do the sweep to find it, you are going to be far less anxious if you know you can easily do without breathing for a minute or more (because it certainly won't take you that long to find it).

I was watching students in the pool last night, and when they take a reg out of their mouths, they're almost frantic to put one back in right away. It's a nice thing for a diver to be much more relaxed about it than that.

If you have lost your primary reg, why not go for your backup reg and then sweep for your primary? And yes I understand the training requirement but personally I'd rather go the easy route :)

Yes. And along with what's been stated already, it will also increase your tolerance to CO2 so diving under stress/demand will tax you less and it also is a great confidence builder!

Yes, it can help with increased confidence (as Lynne describes), and also with overall cardiovascular fitness, which will give you some (albeit small) benefit in air consumption while on scuba.

The biggest benefit is for freedivers, who become accustomed to oxygen-deficit, or, excess CO2, working conditions, and thus can perform better in the water. There are sets of tables that can be found on the internet or in reference texts that tell you how long to hold your breath, and then breathe, then hold your breath.

O2 Tolerance tables are different from CO2 Tolerance tables. With some work, you can progress to (for example) a 2 minute breathing cycle followed by a 4 minute breath hold. Competitive freedivers can perform a 1 minute breathing cycle followed by a 5 1/2 minute breath hold.

All the best, James

I think you would more benefit from the Yoga than the breath holding but I don't see how it could hurt (on land).

Thanks to everyone for the replies !

Back
Top Bottom