When to buy tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>>I also like having them to take with me when we go to Florida since a lot of operators DON'T have anything more than al80's, and to me that's not enough of a contingency for a deeper dive.<<

me too

This sounds like a great idea - but how do you get them down to FL?

images

Yeah, but you live in the Southeast. The OP lives quite close to me. While he could be driving, I don't get enough time off to make that work all the way to FL so I fly. Flying tanks just doesn't work for me...

<TED>

I have 2-AL80, 2-HP100, 2-HP120, 1-LP108, and 1-40. I have not regretted buyin my tanks. Makes it sure that I go diving.

I have steel tanks. I feel that for the average diver with average physique, the steel 100 is the best all-around work-horse tank. But steel is expensive and takes more maintenance. If cost is an issue, there is absolutely nothing wrong with aluminum tanks. They are definitely less expensive, an AL80 is a reasonable size for most people. Maintenance is much less since aluminum corrosion is self-limiting, unlike rust that just keeps rotting away at the material.

I had aluminum from 1980 to about 1991, then I switched to DIN and HP steel 100's. My friend, with whom I've been diving since 1989, has always had aluminum.

If you get aluminum, get the new "natural finish" aluminum. It's a much better finish than painted.

If you get aluminum, get the new "natural finish" aluminum. It's a much better finish than painted.

I have to disagree...while it may seem petty the natural finish is absolutely the worst finish to get on an AL cylinder. We have a dozen or so in our rental fleet (along with many painted and brushed cylinders) and have not been able to get a VIP sticker to adhere to one for more than a month. The porous texture of the tank just doesn't work well with the adhesive on the stickers. The painted and brushed AL80's don't have this issue.
I would go brushed if you are worried about the look of the cylinder holding up on an AL80.
After all...what the point in having your own cylinders if you cant get anybody to fill it. (because the VIP floated away)

I have to disagree...while it may seem petty the natural finish is absolutely the worst finish to get on an AL cylinder. We have a dozen or so in our rental fleet (along with many painted and brushed cylinders) and have not been able to get a VIP sticker to adhere to one for more than a month. ...
Maybe you need to find a different source of stickers. All of our rental tanks are the natural finish and we don't have any problem with the stickers.

We use standard PADI and PSI visual stickers...as I said our stickers work fine on all other finishes.
We've had tons of problems attaching anything with adhesive to these tanks...VIP's, tape, wraps...etc.
If your stickers work on the finish that's fantastic, but why introduce a potential future problem for a cool looking cylinder finish?

Those of you with your own tanks... Is the convenience worth it?

Yes definitely. It was also cost effective for me too to buy tanks given it costs about $20-25 to hire the tanks. I have a Steel 10.5L and a Steel 12.2L (here rental tanks are generally steel 12.2s). I cannot remember what the Steel 10 was as I got it with all my other gear but the 12.2L was 399AUD (or 315USD). So I only needed to hire a tank, say 26 times (400/15 as fills are $5) before breaking even and I have done that easily.

Do you ever wish you hadn't bought tanks?

No, actually I wish I had bought my second tank earlier as I spent about $250 over a year in renting out a second tank...

Also, it seems like tanks are like potato chips, you can't buy just one. Diving singles you'd need at least two for a "normal" 2 dive morning... cha-ching :coffee:

Yes. I find myself wishing I had three tanks sometimes :wink: as generally I do two dives on the weekend and have to return to the shop after the first to get the tank refilled so I have it ready for a midweek dive. (Shop is generally shut after I do the second dive of the weekend). I can't get fills midweek due to work. Over summer it was even more of a pain as I would do three dives on a weekend day...

I'll be moving on to doubles eventually, and getting a stage as well so lots of tank purchases in my future too...

I am completely new to this so... bare with me a minute...

I use a mark 25 reg... 5'10'' 200lbs and large lung capacity. Freshwater I only use 4lbs weight with al80

Can you give me time differences between the hp80 hp100 and hp130? Will it over weight me in fresh water? Do you have problems with building up too much nitrogen since you are down longer?

All of this is new to me so any help is appreciated.

I don't add up my costs of diving. That way, I don't have to justify anything. There are many times that owning a tank makes the difference of being able to make a dive or not make a dive, the closest LDS from me is now 45 mins away. Also, not all of the dive locations I go to have shops. AL80's are ok for everyone, but not perfect for many people. MOST places, that is all that you are going to rent. I have a couple of hp119's. They are great for the deeper dives because I have a good reserve capacity. They are even better for shallow dives, because I can generally get 2 dives on 1 fill.

Back
Top Bottom