Canoe Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am thinking of heading down to cypress spring on June 18,19. I have a canoe that i can borrow from my uncle. I have heard of a few people using a canoe to get to the spring. I am a little concerned about the canoe possibly tipping. I have a mesh dive bag that I could place all my gear in the bag so if the canoe flips all I have to chase after is the bag itself.

It would be myself and one other diver. The canoe I have is, if I had to guess, about 14 feet long.

1. How stable is a canoe for diving, is it trustworthy?
2. Would you recommend a trolling motor or just paddling?
3. Any tips for re-entering the canoe after a dive?
4. Any good place there the gain access back into the boat or just kinda kick with fins on hard enough to kick yourself back into the canoe and try not to flip it over?
5. I live in Alabama, I am assuming that I would need to have the canoe registered?
6. And lastly do you have any more tips that I could use? I have never dove out of a canoe before.

If anyone else would like to dive those days just shoot me a line

Just paddle your canoe to a spot and do a shore dive from there. You will not be able to get in and out of a canoe on the water without swamping...especially with dive gear on. Maybe if you rigged up some sort of outrigger system you could do it.

Two people who know what they're doing can get back into a canoe on the water without tipping it over but I think it would be next to impossible with dive gear on. Second the shore dive suggestion.

i would recomend trying it. First, set a camera on the shore to film the event so that after you [-]flip[/-] dive you can upload the video. :mooner:

I did that a long time ago with my first wife. It is do-able but you leave the gear floating beside the canoe, then get in from opposite sides at the same time (one for and one aft of the center thwart). It takes good timing and corrdination. Once aboard you bring your gear abord while the other person counterbalances.

The good news is that like a Kayak, you can tow it around like a large dive float.

if anyone wants to join me on thursday 6-18-09 give me a call

Michael
334-864-1135

I've been driving canoes for over 20 yrs now & am also an avid Kayak diver. Forget the canoe for diving from, other than doing a shore dive as others have said. Unless you have an outrigger set up, you are gonna spend all your time chasing gear & not diving. My suggestion would be to get yourself a sit on top kayak.

For Cypress Spring, you are really not diving from a canoe...you are using the canoe to get to a dive site. There is a beach head right at the spring. You pull the canoe up to the beach, unload gear, and then make the dive. There are some railroad timbers that you can set your tank and BC on, or you can simply float the tank and gear up.

This picture shows what I am talking about...
CypressRiverEndSmall.jpg

I am a little concerned about the canoe possibly tipping. I have a mesh dive bag that I could place all my gear in the bag so if the canoe flips all I have to chase after is the bag itself.

I would suggest putting your BC on your tank and inflating it a little bit. Then as you said, put as much in a gear bag as your can. But, you will have to be real bad in a canoe to have problems. It is a very easy paddle to Cypress. Not a lot to flip you unless you just really aren't paying attention. It is a nice trip...here is a picture of the river run up to the spring.

CypressRiver2small.jpg

It would be myself and one other diver. The canoe I have is, if I had to guess, about 14 feet long.

You won't have any problem with two people. We have done it with gear and three divers....and we aren't small Bubbas!

1. How stable is a canoe for diving, is it trustworthy?

As far as Cypress Spring goes you shouldn't have any problems.

2. Would you recommend a trolling motor or just paddling?

Just paddle...it is a short trip up stream...will take you 30 minutes at the most. Now, if you haven't talked with someone you need to understand there is a fork in the river...just remember when in doubt, bear left.

3. Any tips for re-entering the canoe after a dive?

Yep, step right in it from shore.:D

4. Any good place there the gain access back into the boat or just kinda kick with fins on hard enough to kick yourself back into the canoe and try not to flip it over?

Most places have a shore you can get to...I would try entering a canoe from the water as only a last resort.

5. I live in Alabama, I am assuming that I would need to have the canoe registered?

As far as Cypress goes....the risk of you running in to anyone checking registrations is very slim.

6. And lastly do you have any more tips that I could use? I have never dove out of a canoe before.

CypressAbove.jpg

You will LOVE Cypress. Spend some time looking at the underwater plants at this site...they are beautiful. Stop at Dee's in Vernon on your way to, or from Cypress for some good local food.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Well I just got back last night from cypress. When I got there I wasn't quiet sure which way I needed to go and luckily there was a local couple there. I used the Big Pine boat landing. The wife said go left, so I did. After getting to Becton Springs I realized my mistake and turned around. When I got there, there were already people there swimming, approximately 10. The visiblity was excellent. Couldn't have asked for anything better. By the time I left there were about 15 people. I was kinda shocked cause this was on a thursday and about 1 pm. I dove for a little while at cypress and emptied my bottles. Headed back to the boat ramp which was an awesome trip cause there was not much work involved. Headed over to Morrison to check out all the work that was done and see how visibility was. There were about 30-45 people there swimming and about 7-8 people diving. Headed back home to auburn alabama and walked in the door at 8:30pm I know this is not as great of a dive report like everyone else does but I am pressed for time and this is all the time I have to type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom