Great dive sites in alberta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubahagel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm trying to compile a list of great dive sites in Alberta I would like to check out, but I need help from people know great locations. I have dived Lakes Edith and Arnette in Jasper. Cold lake is on my list as well. Any thoughts?

Edith and Annette, eh? So you just got certified. Glad to see the enthusiasm.

There are no great sites in Alberta. We have what we have.

Most popular -

Jasper NP - Annette, Edith, Beauvert, Patricia.

Banff NP - Minnewanka, Two Jack (for training)

Waterton NP - Couple of spots in the lake at the townsite.

Twin Lakes west of Pigeon (especially popular with the Edmonton crowd.)

Cold Lake

Others -

Forfar (near Athabasca) - not visited too much these days

Hubbles - ditto

Wabamun - double ditto

Spray Lakes - the tunnel can be cool.

Sylvan - Roy Farrington has some stuff in there and runs boat charters.

Best local Alberta diving? BC.

Guess I better plug the AUC since I'm on the board... go to www.albertaunderwatercouncil.com for more information on clubs, shops, dive events in Alberta. And please join. First year is free.

Oh and I guess I should plug my group. Pub Divers dive club. "No rules, No Presidents, No dues, No bull dung". Meetings are held when we feel like it but it is usually once a month at the Westmount Boston Pizza. PM me with your email addy and I'll add it to the mail-out list if you're interested.

For some details you can check out Bill Hall's books:

Diving Southern Alberta and Diving British Columbia.

It's a bit of effort, but Horseshoe lake in Jasper is my favorite in AB..

Although nothing in AB is going to compare to diving the Emerald Sea, there are fun sites to dive for a lack of anything better. My Girlfriend and I try to get out diving in Jasper at least a couple of times a month now that it's warmed up and camping is open.

Although to be honest, if we could afford to dive in BC more often, we would.

Last edited:
It's a bit of effort, but Horseshoe lake in Jasper is my favorite in AB..

Good call. I forgot about that one. A good dive and worth the effort to get to the back side.

Although nothing in AB is going to compare to diving the Emerald Sea, there are fun sites to dive for a lack of anything better. My Girlfriend and I try to get out diving in Jasper at least a couple of times a month now that it's warmed up and camping is open.

Although to be honest, if we could afford to dive in BC more often, we would.

Amen.

I wish the canadian shield wasn't so far away, those lakes are prime diving and lots to see there. Snorkeling up in northern manitoba was a blast

Edith and Annette, eh? So you just got certified. Glad to see the enthusiasm.

There are no great sites in Alberta. We have what we have.

Most popular -

Jasper NP - Annette, Edith, Beauvert, Patricia.

Banff NP - Minnewanka, Two Jack (for training)

Waterton NP - Couple of spots in the lake at the townsite.

Twin Lakes west of Pigeon (especially popular with the Edmonton crowd.)

Cold Lake

Others -

Forfar (near Athabasca) - not visited too much these days

Hubbles - ditto

Wabamun - double ditto

Spray Lakes - the tunnel can be cool.

Sylvan - Roy Farrington has some stuff in there and runs boat charters.

Best local Alberta diving? BC.

Guess I better plug the AUC since I'm on the board... go to Alberta Underwater Council for more information on clubs, shops, dive events in Alberta. And please join. First year is free.

Oh and I guess I should plug my group. Pub Divers dive club. "No rules, No Presidents, No dues, No bull dung". Meetings are held when we feel like it but it is usually once a month at the Westmount Boston Pizza. PM me with your email addy and I'll add it to the mail-out list if you're interested.

LOL, Eloquently put : )

I couldn't have said it better myself : ) I will PM you to get on your list. From Calgary, but prefer to dive anywhere else : )

Keith

Five of us were out to Christina Lake a couple of weeks back, the vis was only about ten to fifteen feet.The temp was only up to 6 degrees so it was a short dive. I was out there last fall and we had about thirty feet, as long as you stay off the bottom. The lake is about 3 hours N.E. from Edmonton. There is one other lake farther into the bush (Grist) that is supposed to be a lot better vis from the fisherman I have taked to, also the owner of the lodge says he can see his water pickup at sixteen feet from the surface.

Attachments

• Christina Lake 2 .jpg
    Christina Lake 2 .jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 278
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom