Henderson Thermoprene vs. Hyperstretch (long term durability)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone here compared Henderson Thermoprene ('stretches 70% more than standard neoprene') with Henderson Hyperstretch ('250% more') in terms of long term durability? I am particularly interested in 3mm and 5mm versions. Is Hyperstretch (or H2) really worth double the price of Thermoprene? I tried 5mm Thermoprene at a store and I felt it was very easy to get in/out of the suit, but I guess that is all relative. Thanks.

Both materials are sort of new so long term can be a guess.Can go for either one..I find that for hard to fit people(fat) the H2 would be better fit.For people that have no problem with finding clothes that fit the thermoprene would do them fine,unless they want the additional features that the H2 offers.Now that you tried a suit on at the store and found it fits,you are purchasing at the store,correct?

Both materials are sort of new so long term can be a guess.Can go for either one..I find that for hard to fit people(fat) the H2 would be better fit.For people that have no problem with finding clothes that fit the thermoprene would do them fine,unless they want the additional features that the H2 offers.Now that you tried a suit on at the store and found it fits,you are purchasing at the store,correct?

Basically I am trying to pick a fairly cheap warm water suit for trip to Cozumel this summer. I am agonizing selecting between Henderson Thermoprene 3 or 5mm(one that I actually tried on but not in the water), Neosport X-pan 3/2mm, Bare Velocity 3/2mm and possibly one of the cheaper Pinnacle suits like Seal or other 3mm with merino lining. My LDS carries exclusively Henderson suits (although there are many shops in my general vicinity including ones that carry other brands too). All of these suits are basically in the same price category (under/around $200) and I would probably go with Henderson if it was not for a large number of negative comments about general quality of Henderson suits on this forum. I was originally planning on buying a 5mm H2 as a best all around suit but researching Hyperstretch on this forum made me change my mind...Thanks.

Basically I am trying to pick a fairly cheap warm water suit for trip to Cozumel this summer. I am agonizing selecting between Henderson Thermoprene 3 or 5mm(one that I actually tried on but not in the water), Neosport X-pan 3/2mm, Bare Velocity 3/2mm and possibly one of the cheaper Pinnacle suits like Seal or other 3mm with merino lining. My LDS carries exclusively Henderson suits (although there are many shops in my general vicinity including ones that carry other brands too). All of these suits are basically in the same price category (under/around $200) and I would probably go with Henderson if it was not for a large number of negative comments about general quality of Henderson suits on this forum. I was originally planning on buying a 5mm H2 as a best all around suit but researching Hyperstretch on this forum made me change my mind...Thanks.

Stay away from the 3mm Neosport..It is a cheaply made suit.the seams are not glued and,has no water barrier at the zipper..It sells at $99. for a reason...It is for people who want cheap cheap..
Many LDS on the East coast carry Henderson for a reason-reliable delivery.Normal delivery time for us is 2 days.The hyperstretch piles on the outside of the suit,especially aanywhere near velco.The H2 is a better product.If price is a concern go with the thermoprene.It is triple glued and stitched and has a good fit for most northamerican body types .Has a water barrier at the zipper too.

I think at this point its down to Bare Velocity 3/2 (or should I go with 5/4 for multiple dives in the Carribean?) and Henderson Thermoprene 5mm. There have been multiple positive reviews of the Bare suit while data on Henderson neoprene is spotty with several negative reviews of the durability (ie. Thermoprene wearing fast and showing wrinkles and all after several dives)...

I have both hyperstretch & thermoprene suits. I think the thermoprene 5mm actually stretches more than the 55 hyperstretch. both suits are the same size & the thermo is easier to put on.

the hyperstretch has good knew pads, the thermoprene's knee pads are a joke, so you'll either have to spring for better ones to glue on or be carefull to not shred the cheapies.

scubatoys.com had the thermoprenes on sale for about $100, which is where I bought mine.

While I can't give any review of the hyperstretch, I do own both the thermoprene and the neosport in 3 mil. I actually like the neosport quite a bit more than the thermoprene. It is quite a bit more comfortable, lasts well (I have about 300 dives on it and the only real wear is a bit on the neck) and the chemicals used in the manufacturing came out easily with the neosport. I am alergic to those chemicals and cannot seem to get them out of the thermoprene completely.

I plan on getting another neosport soon for my warm water diving as it is a nice suit. Price is not the reason for this. My drysuit is a whites fusion, which shows I am not afraid to spend money for comfort. I simply like the neosport.

Later, Hawk.

I bought a thermo prene 5 mm jumpsuit last year. Used it for a few days and it was nearly completely crushed, the rubber was all wrinkled and more than one seam started to unravel immediately. I had to return the suit after one 3 day dive trip. I've never seem something like it before. I got it at Scubatoys.com. They took it back, but i still got stuck with shipping of the original suit.

It was the worst suit i have ever owned in 35 years!!! Get ANY suit other than that one.

Stay away from the 3mm Neosport..It is a cheaply made suit.the seams are not glued and,has no water barrier at the zipper..It sells at $99. for a reason...It is for people who want cheap cheap..

Thanks, this is what my LDS (specializing in Henderson) is telling me...

I bought a thermo prene 5 mm jumpsuit last year. Used it for a few days and it was nearly completely crushed, the rubber was all wrinkled and more than one seam started to unravel immediately. I had to return the suit after one 3 day dive trip. I've never seem something like it before. I got it at Scubatoys.com. They took it back, but i still got stuck with shipping of the original suit.

It was the worst suit i have ever owned in 35 years!!! Get ANY suit other than that one.

Thanks. I think your original review of the suit swayed me the most towards other brands. I was wondering though if there was a known problem with that 2007 model of the Thermoprene as 2008 model looks completely different.

In either case, thanks all for your input, I decided to check out Bare Velocity 3/2 first and go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom