Suit in Caribbean in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

washava

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey, I started out learning scuba. Didn't end up finishing....but had already bought a full body suit....I was cold in the heated pool all the time. Since then I've taken the suit and used it snorkeling in the Caribbean in February....I LOVED having it!! I was never cold...and it provided extra bouyancy. I'm going back to the Caribbean in July and I just wondered if I would need it for snorkeling there at that time of year. I don't want to haul it around if I don't need it....but I HATE to be cold.... What can anyone else who is cold all the time tell me about snorkeling in the Caribbean in July? Thanks!

take it.. why get out of the water because your cold rather than because you've been in long enough and maybe getting tired.

I don't think you should bother bringing it if you are just snorkeling. If you were diving I would suggest bringing it, but the water should be nice and warm in July. Plus, if you start getting a little cool, you can just go back on the beach for a few minutes. I've never seen anyone snorkeling in a wetsuit in the Caribbean, especially in the summer. Which is not to say you can't or shouldn't, but I think basically everyone finds it unnecessary.

The pluses are that it does provide buoyancy and protection from the sun and sharp stuff. If you are going on a boat to snorkel in open water, then you probably would wear it. If you're just going off the beach, you might try wearing it once, but as you are lugging it back, wet and heavy, you would probably decide that it is not worth the hassle.

Also, I'm not usually cold, but my dive buddy is and she also does not wear a wetsuit snorkeling. She does sometimes wear a dive skin, it's like a shirt, maybe also called a rash guard. Those are easy to pack and light and provide some warmth and sun protection.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how long you intend to stay in the water. For example, depending on your skin complexion, you could get a decent burn from just 1/2 hr of sun exposure.

But if you enjoy snorkeling, being in the water, and observing marine life, chances are that you will spend at least an hour or more out there, so more the reason to have that layer of protection on for warmth and protection from the elements.

As Marcaumarc well pointed out, it provides buoyancy and protects you from the sun and sharp stuff. In addition, while you can usually dodge stinging stuff like jellyfish and fire coral, there are myriads of other minute stinging creatures that are floating around, including broken-off jellyfish tentacles, that you are less likely to see and therefore avoid.

That is why nowadays I usually snorkel or dive with a suit on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom