Clearing the nose of a mask? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive wearing a Cressi Big Eyes EVO mask which seems to fit very well. When occasionally I get water into the nose portion of the mask, i cannot seem to clear it out. Clearing the lens portion is easy but water always seems to remain in the nose. Although I can continue in this fashion just fine, it is kind of annoying...like getting a song stuck in your head that you cant get out.
Does anyone have any solutions?

PuddleDiver got it right....without the purge valve, its up to gravity to drain that part of the mask. My backup mask doesnt have a valve either and I actually squeeze the nose part and lift away from my lip while exhaling through my nose (head tilted back).

If I get tired of this, I 'll just leave it in during the dive. Do clear it soon at the surface though...more than water can collect in that area!!! :rolleyes

:

It's possible to dive WITHOUT water in the nose?

I am looking up on clearing attempts...for some reason it just doesnt seem to clear...I also tried the squeezing of the nose piece while clearing and if anything i let more water in....Its such a simple thing and frustrating to not be able to clear it. :(

I would suggest going vertical (to see if it will empty, start with the extreme, then back off). Now try clearing. Lean your head way back. Try using JUST your index fingers, and pushing on the top of the mask, only, while you exhale through your nose. This allows the excess air (from your nose), to push the water out.

It might be helpfull to make sure your strap isn't too tight, either (which causes problems with clearing the mask, because it seals too tight, not letting the air easily escape from the bottom).

Now if you're leaning so far back that the "bottom" of the nose pocket is actually "above" the lenses, then you're too far back. The air needs to go out of the lowest point of the mask, wherever that may be.

Keep practicing, and maybe have a buddy work with you to check your underwater orientation while you're doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom