Another freediving fin advice Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowin8579

Registered
Reaction score
I know there are several of these types of posts. I live in PA, and the dive shops I have visited weren't able to help me with what I'm hoping for. I love visiting these nice people. Actually, the dive shop that I went to in Florida was very similar to the shops in PA.

Most of these shops I have access to are 100% scuba related and do not carry any full foot fins. They mainly carry scubapro products etc which isn't so bad really. They often cost 80-100 dollars more in the shop than on the internet. (not leasurepro) I found a few lakes within 30 miles that are very clear and I have taken snorkeling fins (velocity) as deep as possible. I need more thrust!

When I visit my aging mother in Florida I will not have the luxury to find a free diving friendly shop and then field test the items. I would like to make an educated purchase, test it out where I live, and then go on an adventure. I am athletic, but do not wish to have boards on my feet. I am looking to bridge the gap from 30' to 50'. The description of the Cressi Gara professional sounds like a possible choice, the reviews appear to be excellent. The 2000 HF also seems like a potential choice. The Black Teams sound quite stiff, but are often recommended.

Do you have any advice?

i have seen good fins full foot in bass pro shop in miami, maybe they will have them around your area?

that's a good idea. Cabelas has not had any fins, but there is a bass pro shop within three hours. Maybe I can call them and ask them if they can order them etc. Thank you!

hey cowin. Have you been freediving with someone who's got some good techniques? I don't think it's different fins that are going to get you past that 30' on the way to 50' but rather a better technique.. I believe it's to easy to get to 30' without fins at all (not to difficult to get to 50' or even 75' either) for the fins to be making the difference. If you want a big jump in fins though, consider a mono. They will move you like nothing else. the only bi-fins that won't feel to much like board on your feet will be of the carbon fiber models, but there again, technique will be the difference of a fin feeling like a board on your foot vs. just a big, long fin.
Could there be some other wall you're hitting at 30'? mask maybe, equalizing, maybe not the best surface dive and diving technique? anything like that?

I'm also in PA and in the market for long fins. Indian Valley Scuba has a free diving section in there online store, they are selling the cressi 2000/3000 gara full foot fins for same price as leisurepro. I think they ship from their actual store so you can probably head over there and try them on.

You are very wise holdingmybreath. You are 100% right. I don't have anyone teaching.

I have a decent but high volume snorkeling type mask that is nearly impossible to equalize. At least for me. I can stay down there and get little sizzles out of my ears, but nothing more. I take the pain and check out whatever is down there. I'm looking into free diving masks for purchase at the same time as the fins.

Again I'm using Aeris Velocity fins, and when I really want to move they bend and flex excessively. I've gone right through currents, but at the point of a spring for example, I stop going forward and then get pushed back after fatigue. I mainly use my body to get down there (like a gravity spear) and only use the fins slighly with long strokes.

I would probably appreciate even a slight upgrade, but I can't afford 3-5 sets of fins. You are correct, and 20 feet isn't a huge difference. If I use a wet suit without weights, that also adds to the challenge.

Redstrom, that is an interesting find. Thank you and I will check that out. It is nice having those unique options even up north.

corwin, when I moved from an old clunker scuba mask to a good low volume mask it completely eliminated the first wall I hit, I think it got me from around 40' to maybe 70' instantly. Maybe slow your pace down.. it's all about efficient movements, sounds like using gravity you are on the right track. By slow, efficient movements, you'll have more O2 for bottom time plus be more comfortable putting air into your ears and mask. Freediving fins will make the most use of those efficient movements, but I'd sure look into a good mask first. See if you can spend a day with a good, experienced freediver in your area to work a bit on surface dives and techniques, it could make a huge difference for you. Best to have someone along with you all the time of course!

I bought my Cressi Gara 3000 HF fins a few years back from Scubastore.com and I have been very, very satisfied. I am not athletic in any way and I am really not sure why I am good at freediving. I am obese, smoke, don't train etc. and I went from going to 70' and barely being able to surface to my personal best of 122' in one season! Now I can go to 50'-80' and play around.

The fins did take some getting used to ( and they do each season ) with leg cramps for the first few times and toe cramps being the major problem. The toe cramps do go away but it took me some time plus I mainly dive in a quarry where below 70-90' the water stays about 56f year round so take that into account.

I looked at some shops on the internet and I am surprised to see some of the prices. The shipping from Scubastore is expensive as they come from Spain but DHL had them from Spain to my door in 3 days no kidding.

My first pair were a little tight so I sold them to a friend and bought another pair where I could wear a sock as they rub a little. I ordered the 2nd pair in the middle of the night and I swear to you DHL had them at my door two days later!!!!! I thought it was a friend knocking on the door. I couldn't believe it.

As an amateur freediver I highly suggest these. Once you get used to them with two or three strong kicks from 30' you will quickly bridge the gap to 50' easily. I always set my watch alarm to go off at 80' and a few dives into the season by the time I heard the alarm I looked at my watch and had hit 102'. It was scary. These fins get the job done very well indeed.

Go to Deeper Blue and go to the Scubastore.

Hope this helps and safe diving,
J.

The 3000HF appears to be a large fin, and the 2000 a smaller stiffer fin.

What interests me about the Cressi Gara Prof is that in tests it is supposed to be more reactive, and technically not just a stiffer version of previous fins. Hmm The 3000HF sounds like it has suited you for sure.

I recommend specialfins. Granted I haven't tried many plastic fins, but I have a discontinued model of specialfins just for freediving, and they work fantastic. They are the "medium" stiffness model and helped me get from 70 feet to over 100 a few years ago. Even their more basic models are very good, the fiberglass blade has a lot of snap to it.

specialfins.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom