Why Some Stay warmer than others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FroggMan

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Why do some stay warmer whith the same wetsuit than others. Vain constriction due to cold or what?

Lots of factors, actually. Natural insulation plays a big role as does basic cold tolerance.

I think the major factor is what people call 'cold' as a sensation. After living in the tropics for a few years, I'm cold if the mercury dips below about 78 and put on a long sleeved t-shirt or sweatshirt. Anything below 75 and I'm in jeans and long sleeves. Plenty of people that live with much colder temperatures just don't perceive those temperatures as cool or cold.

In my experience, men are much more cold tolerant than women with skinny kids getting cold the fastest.

What matters is that you use the amount of exposure protection that keeps YOU comfortable and let everyone else do the same. It's not a contest :D

Rachel

Probably many,many factors involved here - slender people tend to chill faster because veins are closer to the surface of skin. Other factors would include adequate nutrition (low on food, low on fuel), amount of movement in the water, and (guessing on this) comfort in the water, thinking that a slightly nervous diver might also be a chilled diver. Age is certainly a factor and likely the year round home of the diver, the colder the normal environment the better the tolerance. Another factor would be the number of repetitive dives - 20 dives in 5 days will cause you to be less comfortable.

Additional "Bioprene" (fat) is good for insulation however can make it difficult finding a suit that fits :)

Two weeks ago I comfortably did @21 dives over 6 days in Bonaire with just a skin, while other divers with me got cold in 7mm wetsuits and/or fewer dives. (OK, part of it is I'm no longer skinny. My 15 yr old son is skinny though and if it weren't for a jelly fish incident in Bonaire in '07 he'd still be in only a swim suit in the Caribbean.)
Metabolism, tolerance, conditioning, smoking or non smoking, etc are all factors. Heck some of us just don't have sense enough to get cold. (Also being in 82d water after a winter in upstate NY felt really warm to me!!! that's another factor)

Cold also depends if the person has been drinking; either caffeine or alcohol. Alcolhol tends to dilate the surface blood vessels, and the (temporary) sensation of it "warming you up" is actually your heat leaving your body. Caffeine products, on the other hand, tend to restrict circulation, hence cutting off blood - and therefore warmth - to your extremeties.

Like others have said, it also depends on the last time you ate, WHAT you ate (e.g. quickly metabolized simple carbohydrates), your hydration level, and other varialbes. Generally, have eaten at least an hour before a dive, be well hydrated, and you'll enjoy your dive more. Proper hydration is also a key element in gas exchange in your lungs, and helps to minimize risk of DCS.

A big factor is your level of activity. New divers, who tend to kick more and use their hands more, tend to stay warmer (at the cost of going through their gas faster). Advanced divers, who can be very still in the water, get chilled more rapidly. I've found that on my cave dives, as long as I am swimming, I am warm enough to be comfortable, but the minute we surface and begin a debrief, I start to shiver.

That is why there is Henderson hyperstretch.
IF you can find a supplier locally. And I've tried, nobody in Adelaide stocks their suits. I've asked Henderson for a full list of retailers in Australia as I may take a road trip to get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom