Los Angeles divable lakes/reservoirs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have a course scheduled this weekend. The instructor is coming down from Monterey.

The swell isn't looking so good for shore diving.

Does anyone know of any lakes or reservoirs in the los angeles area?

Thanks,
MB

The only diveable lake in the area is Lake Perris, I think (based on a quick search). I know nothing about it other than that you are allowed to dive there and it apparently isn't interesting in the least bit....but I don't know if it would offer the depths you are looking for (whatever those may be).

I'm holding out hope that they're predicting the weather completely wrong and that the swell isn't going to be that bad. Either way, I'm going out tomorrow, and hopefully Sunday as well. I can give you an update as to conditions tomorrow if that will be of any use to you.

Thanks ligers.

Perris was all I could find myself. We don't need visibility (see attached photo). We don't need depth. 20 feet will do. What we do need is a bottom with stuff to tie off to or with a composition that will allow us to shove stakes in and, tie off to them, and run about 400 feet of line.

Perris seems to be a bit on the soft side, so I think the stakes would come out with enough tension on our lines.

I think we're going to just peruse the local beach sites, probably starting around Redondo and working our way down towards Laguna. I think Laguna looks the most promising. Swell report is for 2-3 feet from the north west. The shorline at shaw's cove, etc. are close to parallel with the swell, so I think it may work out.

If you find anything out tomorrow I'd certainly appreciate the headsup.

Thanks again,
MB

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 103
It's not just about the swell, it's also about runoff. Not only does it reduce viz, it washes contaminants into the water. Well, you're a neighbor, so you know what's out there.

Corona del Mar is a place where a lot of OW courses are introduced to the water. It is much flatter then the other areas, not all the time but it is much of the time. Easy access and great parking.

Long Beach behind the oil islands stays pretty flat regardless of conditions outside the breakwater and might work for you. You can park right next to the beach.

It's not just about the swell, it's also about runoff. Not only does it reduce viz, it washes contaminants into the water. Well, you're a neighbor, so you know what's out there.

Yah. The ongoing joke when we have to bag a dive due to rain goes something like "hey man, why don't you just come over here and we can throw all our gear in my toilet?"

For the purposes of this class, it's mostly about surge. Can't really do line work if you're getting pushed back and forth 8 feet.

If you decide to come down to Laguna, I would suggest Diver's Cove that, in my view, is even more protected than Shaw's.

I've never done Diver's Cove. For some reason we always end up at Shaw's.

Unfortunately, we've decided to postpone the whole shebang until conditions are better.

I like your mask :wink:

:D Yah. 'Cept now I have to pull all the tape off until we actually get this show on the road. Not much use for a blacked out backup mask for real dives! (though I could have used it at last years' Avalon Harbor cleanup and not noticed a lick of difference).

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, we've decided to postpone the whole shebang until conditions are better.

Sounds like a wise decision given the forecast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom