Another diver died this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading the comments it seems fairly obvious to me what happened...Not going to assume that's what happened
So, can you please clarify the distinction between indicating what you think is fairly obvious what happened, and assuming what happened?

i feel very sorry for this tragedy and i dont know why this is all happening a lot in diving.the safety has to be ensured before diving.

I will start out that I do not believe that this is happening any more (proportionately to the number of certified divers) today than it did 5 years ago. Someone with statistics can chime in if they want but this is just my view today. The big difference is the internet. We now hear news from all over the world where "yesterday" we only heard that news from around the corner. Society's insatiable appetite for "bad things" also feeds on it so the upward trend of visibility will continue. This is why people (not all and in fact I HATE people that do this) slow down on the highway to look at an accident.

Agreed, and I can't say for sure that it's "really" 5 minutes.....or 2 for that matter. Just making a point and should have been more accurate in the visual I was painting.

I understand. The truth is I have always found time to be difficult to judge while diving.

I guess that's why I always bring a watch. Hate to miss happy hour.

I guess that's why I always bring a watch. Hate to miss happy hour.
:rofl3:

The truth is I have always found time to be difficult to judge while diving.
I have to agree but I have yet to figure out why that is. This is especially true for me when first starting a dive. After descending and getting situated and comfortable, I'll look at my gauge and be shocked that only 3 or 4 minutes have gone by. I thought for sure I was in the water longer. Yet, at other times, I'm shocked that 60 or 70 minutes are gone and the DM signals for the group to surface.

BTW, I had a leak in a low pressure hose on one dive in Wakatobi. All of sudden I felt bubbles hitting me where they shouldn't have been. You'd be really surprised how much air you can loose in 30 seconds to a minute.:shocked2:

So, can you please clarify the distinction between indicating what you think is fairly obvious what happened, and assuming what happened?

I should have made that more clear - based upon the available information - which comes from comments that people who were supposedly there made - it appears to me that's what happened. I most assuredly could be wrong. I am not trying to say "this must be what happened" it's just what makes sense to me. That's kind of the problem with these - trying to make sense out of the tragedy.

The big difference is the internet. We now hear news from all over the world where "yesterday" we only heard that news from around the corner.
Well, and that's just it - but it's not really the internet, as much as mass media in general. With news channels running 24 hours/day, they have to find SOMETHING to fill that time. That's why we hear about every murder, child abduction, death, tragedy, toe stubbing, broken nail, bad hair day and otherwise - that simply IS NOT national, let alone world-wide worthy news. So some kid in (insert some town far away from you here) is missing, killed, eating an ice cream - or whatever. Who the hell cares? It's news in the local area. It's not news 10,000 miles away...or even 1000 miles away. This "problem" is exacerbated when it comes to "celebrity" news - and people the media turn into celebrities. I mean, christ, the news still brings up the Jon Benet Ramsey case after 12 years for crying out loud. She is a NOBODY! Her PARENTS are nobodies. This never should have made anything but local news, let alone be talked about 12 years later. I shouldn't even BE AWARE of this case - but thanks to the mass media, here I am talking about it 12 years later.

Don't get me wrong, its a tragedy for THOSE INVOLVED - but you can rest assured that if it were some ugly little black girl from the Bronx that was found dead in her parents' basement, the national media wouldn't have given it a second look.

Ok..rant over. I agree with ScubaSteve001.

I think more people are diving so there are more accidents. Just like driving, lots of people who are less capable are in the water since the sport is so much more of an industry with lots of marketing power (PADI). I'll bet a lot more people are dying on the golf course these days too...

Sean

There are more people period...so there are more accidents period. To be really meaningful, you have to look at rates of incidence and rates of change. I believe what Steve is getting at is that ratio of divers to dive accidents really hasn't changed.

I'd go one further and suggest that it may be possible they are even going down - due to better equipment, better awareness, better training, more rules, etc. However, if memory serves me correctly, I read some DAN tidbit a while ago that said despite these things, rates have not gone down.

p.s.: stupid Jon Benet case in the "news" no more than 2 days ago.

Last edited:
The reality is we may never know why this young man died but he apparently had a lot of experince - it's not uncommon for the last diver to come up a few miniutes behind his dive team - it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out he lost conscience for some reason and died when he ran out of air - he knew his dive team had returned to the surface and would have monitored his psi - he did not just run out of air - in any case accidents happen - may God be with him and his family - Dennis

Back
Top Bottom