Sea lice / sea wasps in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be at FIBR at the end of February. Although I didnt hear of them being an issue last year at that time, I just wondered whether sea lice are present then? I remember someone saying it may be possible to encounter them on the surface after a night dive, and I plan to do a few more night dives this year so just want to plan accordingly.
(I do wear a full suit and usually a beanie so not much skin exposed anyway).

TIA.

They're a close relative to the Box Jelly in Australia and can be found in all areas of the Caribbean! Covering is always a good idea, but a short blast from your reg will clear a path ahead of you! Make sure you turn off all your lights as well! I have never had a problem in Roatan myself! You will have fun:wink:

I just wondered whether sea lice are present then?
(I do wear a full suit and usually a beanie so not much skin exposed anyway).

They're a close relative to the Box Jelly....

PapaBear gave you excellent advice, but I think he was talking about our Caribbean Sea Wasps which is a relative to the more deadly Australian Box Jelly. A Sea Wasp is "usually" the size and color of the plastic wrapper from a pack of cigarettes, having 4 tentacles that dangle down 12" or so. I have seen some that are as big as a Foster's can and 36" long. They are quite venomous- but if you look "up and ahead", and follow PapaBear's advice, you'll do okay. Always have Benadryl on hand. I'm sure somebody somewhere has suffered long term or died from contact, but anyone I have ever saw get that firey sting was having a beer two hours later and telling tales of the briney deep.

What AdjusterJD was inquiring about: Sea Lice are thought to be Larval Thimble Jellyfish. They are seemingly invisible and do indeed congregate near the surface. It is thought that they are attracted by full Moons on relatively calm nights, but people have returned from night diving during varied conditions with these mild to irritating rashes. The effect is most commonly seen at neck, armpit, inner elbow, etc. It is short lived but fairly intense itching sensation.

Obviously: Don't scratch and use Benadryl, orally as well as the lotion. WalMart sells it.

They seem to be at their worst in the Mar-Apr timeframe....but I am sure they can be spotted at anytime....use Safe Sea...I have used it and never had a problem...Safe Sea stops jellyfish & sea lice stings! I have seen it for sale at some dive shops and also at the resorts

Good info and advise given above.

The sea lice are mostly present from late Feb through April. I have been there in Feb when they were bad. You will know when they will be present from seeing the thimble jellyfish just a few days before the larvae come along. They will look ( the adults) like a thimble and have brown color to them.

The sea wasps are there year round and come out at night. If you look back under the mangroves during the day you will find pockets of them that will make you back up very quickly. Been there, done that. The sea wasps go on a moon cycle and are out the most seven days after a full moon.

SafeSea is a good product to help protect the exposed areas if used correctly. You need to put it on long enough ahead of time, usually about 15 min, so that it dries and provides a protective skin.

All of the above are annoying, but not enough to ruin your trip.

Have fun.

Later, Hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom