lp tank pressure and capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I always thought a LP tank's capacity was based on the +10%, ie a LP95 was only 95 if it was filled to the 2640, not the 2400 original service pressure without the 10% rating, although a LDS tolday told me that it is 95 at 2400, who is right?

There are several LP95 tanks out there. All of the ones I know of are rated to hold 95 cu ft when filled to 2400 psi + 10% (240psi) = 2640 psi. I agree with you and not your LDS. I actually prefer the buoyancy characteristics of a HP100.

LP capacities are based on the + rating. HP tanks, which don't have plus ratings, are at full capacity at whatever their rated pressure is (3442 or 3500, typically).

If it had a + rating when new, the rated capacity includes the +10%.
Scotty D: 1
LDS guy : 0

That sound means we just entered the Lightning round!

I always thought a LP tank's capacity was based on the +10%, ie a LP95 was only 95 if it was filled to the 2640, not the 2400 original service pressure without the 10% rating, although a LDS tolday told me that it is 95 at 2400, who is right?
LP tanks are confusing. They're stamped with the pressure and capacity you're supposed to turn the dive at when you're cave diving to obey the 1/3 air rule.

For instance. LP104 is rated around 2400 IIRC, so you fill it to 3600, so your turn would be 1200psi, or 2400psi remaining. You're actually supposed to fill them to 3600 and get around 140cu ft of air.

Glad I could help! :popcorn:

I did'nt know before not so long ago that there was a + rating. I have always seen standard AL80 filled up to 3250 approximatly.

LP tanks are confusing. They're stamped with the pressure and capacity you're supposed to turn the dive at when you're cave diving to obey the 1/3 air rule.

For instance. LP104 is rated around 2400 IIRC, so you fill it to 3600, so your turn would be 1200psi, or 2400psi remaining. You're actually supposed to fill them to 3600 and get around 140cu ft of air.

Glad I could help! :popcorn:

Oh geeeez, why do you gotta mess with the new guys head. :shakehead:

I always ask my lds to fill my lp's to 3000, because of the way they fill - by the time the tank cools I end up with 2500-2600 psi. You always find compressor monkeys that just don't get it. I was told by one once, "We have to be very careful with these because we are used to filling AL80's to 3000!"

I did'nt know before not so long ago that there was a + rating. I have always seen standard AL80 filled up to 3250 approximatly.

Aluminum tanks do not have a plus rating. Over filling steel LP tanks, no big deal, over filling aluminum tanks, bigger deal. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom