Bail out reg question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anthony12

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question but I would like your opinions anyway.

I have recently redone the wing and bp on my inspiration. I bought a tx50 for dilutent bail out. My LDS only had a 40"
hose so I used it in a pinch and routed my hose over to the right side and out. It was to short to hang down and mount under my arm, so I used MY OC neclace and really like it there. I carry a stage on all dives and that is the reg I offer an out of air diver, so I can simply hand them the stage. Am I missing anything? Is this a stupid mistake? Thanks

anthony12 once bubbled...
My LDS only had a 40"hose so I used it in a pinch and routed my hose over to the right side and out. It was too short to hang down and mount under my arm, so I used MY OC necklace and really like it there. I carry a stage on all dives and that is the reg I offer an out of air diver, so I can simply hand them the stage. Am I missing anything? Is this a stupid mistake? Thanks

:D As we know, there are no stupid questions, if one's desire to get information is genuine.:wink:

As I understand the situation, you have replaced the Auto-Air, and your back-up reg now comes off the gas manifold, out the right upper hose opening, and to a position underneath your chin. Since you plan to offer your auxiliary bottle to another diver in an OOA situation, I see no problem with this plan. At depth, switching to OC on the 3 liter bottle does not, after all, offer much relief in terms of time, as you probably know!:rolleyes:

That was one of the reasons I changed to 7 liter bottles in my Turtle, and still carry auxiliary (sling) bottles.:wink:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

:

As I understand the situation, you have replaced the Auto-Air, and your back-up reg now comes off the gas manifold, out the right upper hose opening, and to a position underneath your chin. Since you plan to offer your auxiliary bottle to another diver in an OOA situation, I see no problem with this plan. At depth, switching to OC on the 3 liter bottle does not, after all, offer much relief in terms of time, as you probably know!:rolleyes:

That was one of the reasons I changed to 7 liter bottles in my Turtle, and still carry auxiliary (sling) bottles.:wink:

How do you have your on-board 7s mounted?, I've stuck with a reasonably unadulterated unit and side mounts( like the rather boring decomposing attatchment) but I'm contemplating one of the triton cases for hard-boat diving, though I'm not convinced that simply leaving the unit as is, and then using bigger sidemounts isn't a better idea.

F

Fiona,

I had a guy who makes back-packs for NASA here in Houston make a case for me. It looks just like the original, only longer. It holds 7 liter tanks very nicely, and has room for my comm unit and the battery for my light. Stainless steel catches close it, and there is a shelf on the bottom for attaching an argon bottle. I'll post a pic if you are interested.

P.S.---Martin liked it!:D

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
...looks just like the original, only longer ... 7 liter tanks ... room for my comm unit ... battery for my light. Stainless steel catches close it ... bottom ... argon bottle. I'll post a pic if you are interested.
That sounded awfully familiar. Does it display a rather large IANTD logo, with "Public Service Diving Instructor" around it? Have a Windolf mask attached to it? You holding it proudly at the IANTD booth during DEMA?

If that's you, I've got four pics of you and the rig, albeit very low quality. I wondered who did the case. Looks fantastic, congrats. If it isn't you, please do post one. :)

caveseeker7 once bubbled...

That sounded awfully familiar. Does it display a rather large IANTD logo, with "Public Service Diving Instructor" around it? Have a Widolf mask attached to it? You holding it proudly at the IANTD booth during DEMA?

If that's you, I've got four pics of you and the rig, albeit very low quality. I wondered who did the case. Looks fantastic, congrats. If it isn't you, please do post one. :)

YUP,

That's me! I guess I've been "outed", so to speak! I've been hoping to get a chance to do some better quality shots at a local dive site and post those!:D

Man, I tell you, as a friend of mine who owns a local LDS says: "The world's too small to do even misdemeanor crime!"=-)

Thank you for the kind words about the case. The man who built it does everything from fixing "Go-Fast" boats for the local powerboat racing crowd to building stuff for NASA. I will still see if I can get the better stills soon, but you can see the ones Caveseeker7 is talking about, Kent, on Jan Willem's fantastic rebreather site. <www.therebreathersite.nl> They are on the link to the pics from DEMA last year.

P.S.---Having the OTS comm gear on-board is just far freakin' out! It's so strong it'll just about vibrate your fillings!:wink:

Dumb question, you said it's inside the case. So unless your head's in there it's not the BuddyPhone ... :rolleyes:
Tried to erase it but that didn't work.:(

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Dumb question, you said it's inside the case. So unless your head's in there it's not the BuddyPhone ... :rolleyes:
Tried to erase it but that didn't work.:(

Yeah, I've tried to erase things as well, but I don't think THEY will let you! Sounds paranoid, doesn't it?:wink:

Sometimes after long flights and many time zones at night, I wonder where my head is!

The comm unit is an OTS Mag 1000-D with twin transducers mounted on the top of the case at each shoulder. The placement of the TD's avoids the effect known as "shadowing". Works like a champ!:D

Back
Top Bottom