Sixgill at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nessum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
That's right. I said it. You don't have to believe me... but tonight at about 7:00 pm my buddy and I wear at about 65 feet on the south side of the islet and we had an encounter that we could barely comprehend.

My buddy froze and I turned to see why and there was a shark. All I could think was 'shark - wait. Not a dogfish. It's too big. It's big. Shark. Big shark. Big SHARK! What?' It had to be at least 10 feet long, if not more. And sure enough when it turned away from us I saw the distinctive tail. By this time my buddy had his camera out and we got to follow it from a distance for a few minutes.

A sixgill. At Whytecliff. I swear.

A video, yes.
:D

I have heard of them rumoured to be around Whytecliff in years past. monsters of the deep?
I think I would fill my suit! (and not with argon)

Sweet! Hopefully he'll still be there in a few weeks.

Bill.

A video, yes.
:D

Please get the video posted. I hope you got a good look at it, you might never see one again.

I don't think I'll be running out to Whycliffe until I see a pic though. Sometimes troll sightings are more common than six gills. :D

I'll post the video eventually. It's dark and I want to see if a friend can 'brighten it up a bit'. Of course, even when I do, how will you know it is in fact shot at Whytecliff? How do you know I did in fact see it? Believe or disbelieve whatever you wish, ddbc, whatever floats your boat.

Bill, I take it you'll be in town for a trip later this summer then? When?

Les,
There was a (legitimate) sighting at Ansell either last summer or the year before (it's all starting to blend together) as well as another sighting at the Cut (at Whytecliff) a few weeks later. It seems that they are out there... Gotta admit, my heart was pounding and it wasn't purely from excitement!

Actually I prefer sunken boats :wink:

I figured if you stuck to the story it would be legit, just wanted to give you a poke to see what happened.

Hi Ness,

We, the family, arrive August 16th for two weeks. I'll be bringing my gear and hope to get wet, the more the better. But, it is a family vacation so I'll have to keep the kids occupied as well.

Are you up for some dives?

Cheers,
Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom