Looking for advice on a new regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic B2 here and I love it! It's like a Rolex watch. Tells time just like the rest, but you know it's better made!

I have an early model of the Oasis and I can't let myself sell it off. I have several "High end" regs, but that old thing just breathes like a champ still.

hudson above is right. Get the features that you'll need, not that are gimmicky. And thinking down the line won't hurt either. My upper end regs are just because I needed something to put on the manifold in the correct positioning.

Other than that, I vote for the "KISS" method of buying. More "features" often means more opportunity to fail or need tuning/repair. I own several Mk2+ regs also. When I sold MK2+ Regs in the shop I used to compare them to a US Army jeep. Not high tech, not the prettiest, but they take a beating and will keep going forever.

And by the way, only the owner made more if we sold high end stuff in my shop. I always tried to match what the person wanted. That included working out a "rebuilt" deal occasionally for some people. That also included titanium regs for those that thought that max $$$ meant max utility. (Hey - if it makes them happy, who am I to argue?).

I know not everyone worked like me, but it torques me when people on here talk like everyone in a LDS is out for $$ alone. Use common sense like everyone else. If they're trying to "up-size" you like a used car salesman, walk away. A good LDS knows it is about the long term, not that day's sale.

Enjoy whichever reg you choose.

Why not Apeks? They are excellent regulators and will accommodate pretty much any level of tech diving you will ever do. If you ever look at a group of cold water tech divers it always seems at least 75% have an Apeks DS4/ATX50 or similar setup.

When I purchased my Apeks, I was told it would get me to hell and back. I have absolutely no complaints. Ice diving, deep diving... Never a problem. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to breathe better the deeper you go...

Even the cheaper atomic regulators are rather hard to beat. The dive shop I did my training with used Atomic regulators as rentals because they saved money in the long run (maintenance wise).

Atomic M-1 here, they are great regulators!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom