Is Atomic worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In over 1200 dives, the only three pieces of gear I still have from my original purchase:

My HP100 tank (I never use it, but loan it out to small friends)

My Snorkel (I never use it... mostly because it stinks)

My Atomic B1 Regulator

Nearly all of my dives have been on my B1. I bought another one for my wife. Bought another one for my Deco rig. Bought two Z1's for my doubles set up. Have another B1 as a spare in the dry box.

I have gear regret on every single piece of gear I bought that I'm not currently using - all of the computers, masks, drysuits, tanks, fins, hoods, gloves, bags, etc, etc. I love everything I'm currently diving, and my Atomic regulator is the only thing that I have that is over 3 years old.

They are worth it. I beat mine - really dive them hard. Sand, rocks, surf, scootering, travel. 260+ dives a year. Never a free flow, never a problem. Never.

Oh, they're not worth retail... gotta watch eBay :wink: But they are worth more because they deliver more.

---
Ken

I'm starting a new shop in the Central Oregon area and am looking to sell Oceanic, Zeagle, and Atomic. After looking at the prices of the Atomic line, (OUCH!!) my question is, are there regulators really worth the money? I've been diving Aqualung products so far, but a competetor has a lock on them. What are your thoughts?

Based on personal experience; emphatically: NO. You can offer your customers better, more consistent quality at lower cost with other brands. I've seen a real quality control problem with their regs. That translates into unhappy customers and higher costs than a dealer needs to worry about.

I can't really express any views as a dive shop operator; however, as a diver I feel that Atomic Regulators are the best for me! I have an M-1 and used to have a B-2 w/swivel both were and are great regulators.

Atomic makes good stuff. Like Halycon, it is overpriced.

I have an Atomic Frameless mask, and it fits me perfect. I don't dive Atomic regs, and instead am a Zeagle fan, and own both a 50D/ZX, and a Stiletto.

I think from an LDS owner perspective, having Zeagle, Atomic, and Oceanic/Aeris is a great lineup. Some folks buy the most expensive thing out there because they feel that is the way to get the best. I don't necessarily agree, but Atomic makes good stuff, and they have a good following in the US.

Thanks for all your opinions, you have helped me once again. Atomic will hopefully be on the lineup also. I'll keep you all posted.:confused:

I've had a couple of M1's that have been great regs (although I didn't pay full retail). But let's face it, in non-dive destination locations (like central Or), most reg type sales come from newly certified divers, and they'll buy what you tell them to. Carry any high end brand, like SP, Atomic or Apeks, and then a cheaper brand, like ScubaMax, and you'll have most of your market covered.

NOTE: I don't own a shop, just am friends with some owners, so take the above for what it's worth...

I am replying to recommend that your seriously consider the Atomic line for your store. I've been around awhile and it's the best regulator series I've ever used. I previously posted the following in this forum several weeks ago:

I rarely join in internet chat discussions, but in this case I'm compelled to comment. As a preamble for the purposes of qualifying my expertise, I've been professionally involved in diving for 37 years (ex-Chairman of NAUI, founder and ex-President of TDI/SDI training agencies, ex-President and CEO of UWATEC, founder and ex-publisher of Fathoms magazine as well as editing Scuba Times, Deep Tech, and Rodale's Scuba Diving, ex-world depth record holder on scuba 475 ft., co-founder of the world's largest diving operation Ocean Quest International, and author/editor of 37 books...), I'm retired now and living the good life but still traveling all over the world diving on special projects.

The best regulators in the frigging world are made by Atomic. They have superb performance, flawless reliability, and the best customer service in the industry. I've been using their Titanium series since 1996 and would not even think of diving with anything else. The guys that run the company are the best examples of business ethics you'll find. You can buy an Atomic regulator and rely on it for virtually any type of diving. I've known Doug, Dean, and Seamus for years and you can trust your life with their products.

It's the best investment you'll ever make in diving equipment. I can afford anything and most companies would pay me to use their gear. I choose Atomic because it's simply the best stuff out there.

Bret Gilliam
diving since 1959, professionally since January 1971

Back
Top Bottom