Leaving next week for Playa Del Carmen and have question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends on how busy they are. I am told the slow season is May to October. I was in Cancun last year in October and felt like I practically owned the place. It was very slow. This past Labor Day was very slow in Coz. With the recession and gas prices and air fares going up, I think it is a safe bet you will have no problems without a reservation.

However, looking at it from the ops point of view, making a reservation does help them with their planning: letting staff know when they will be needed, allocating boats to divers, that sort of thing. If you are hoping to do some of the more challenging dives (Punta Sur, Barracuda, Maracaibo, Columbia deep) the shop will need to do some planning, but if you are with a conscientious operation, they problem wouldn't do those dives on your first day.

An kind of hidden advantage of a reservation for you is that you are committed. You are less likely to decide to sleep-in. (Although if you tied one on the night before, please sleep-in but call the shop and let them know you will be a no show. No sense pushing yourself when you are dehydrated and tired.)

Thank you everyone for the replies, I've looked into all the different suggestions. The only reason I'm apprehensive about making reservations is because there seem to be so many different places with different $$ and I've never been there to see any of them for myself. I'm on a budget so I would prefer to go for the cheaper dive op, but then I worry about quality and safety.
I looked into my resort and WOW they want to charge double. We're flying in on Thurs and don't plan to dive until Tues, so I think I'll wait until I get there before I choose. Hopefully I can talk some of my friends who are there for the wedding to get certified and go with us.
Thanks again to everyone. I will post my experiences when I get back and maybe pics too.

PM sent

I've only done a couple of dives in Playa and they with Scuba Libre. I'd go back there. But chiefly, when you're in Playa make sure to visit the Italian ice cream shop on the main drag just a short way up from the bus station/ferry terminal. Worth going to Playa just for that!

In Playa I'd head for Protec Dive Center (no connection with mine). A highly technical dive center that also does excellent recreational dives. You do need to go in the day before you want to dive. Take the opportunity to dive the cenotes.

Deffinately take the time to dive the cenotes. You will want to do more of them if you do one. They are magnificent!

No matter who you go with, assume that they suck. Not to offend anyone, but diving with new people is always scary. Check your equipment, check your buddies, and check your air often. Keep high safety standards, in your own ability limits, and close to your buddy. You should be fine. Good luck and have fun!

Cenotes Rock!

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Hotel last year and I did all my dives with Tank Ha. Got in one day of cenote diving, one day trip to Cozumel, one day off PDC, and a whale shark trip. They have a fast boat to Cozumel and is the only boat out of PDC that can make the run there. I've used them since when making a cruise ship stop in PDC and thanks to them got to dive the Mama Vina on my birthday this year. It's no Bianca C, but well worth it if you like wrecks.

Well, in Playa del Carmen it is almost a must the cenotes, fresh water caverns, uniques in the world. Many diffetents operator in down town, with better prices than the resorts, which not always means longer dives or better service. At Cozumel i recommend Blue Note, no rush, safe and very good dives. Enjoy your stay at Playa del Carmen.

We dove with Aldora Divers in Cozumel in November 2007. They are great! They do give you more bottom time. They give you a dive computer and use steel tanks that hold more air. The heavier tanks are no problem going in, you roll off the side of the boat and the crew handles the tanks for you. Coming up you take the tank and BC off in the water beside the boat and hold onto a line. The crew hauls the tank if from the water and you climb the ladder with no tank.

My wife and I were the only 2 divers on the boat, our dive master, Javier Luna, was fantastic.

Gregg Boone
Fort Worth, Texas

Back
Top Bottom