Best place for an ex-military, law enforcement, scubadiving nut to live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello
I'm currently an Infantryman with the 101st airborne. I'm due to get out in a few months and am trying to decide what to do with myself. I grew up in FL and still have family in the Melbourne area. I'm looking to get into Law Enforcement and most definitely need to be close to the beach and good diving and surfing. I don't suppose that anyone here has any suggestions as to where I might send in an application or two and try to get the ball rolling on some things? I like to have a plan and would love any first hand input people have on their local areas, the diving, and the jobs. Cost of living and such would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

What is your housing budget? Are you willing to live in a condo/townhome to save money? Is it just you, or a spouse and kids? Are you willing to rent for a year until you see how you like your new area?

We are having budget difficulties in Florida and cities and counties are all cutting their budgets. I'm not saying that it will be difficult to break into law enforcement down here, but...well it really could be. You might check into Wackenhut, we use them for security in the library I work for and they are excellent. I believe they are always looking for ex-military people to fill their best positions.

Welcome to Florida, it is divers' paradise!

If you are interested in law enforcement and diving as part of your job, check out the various Central Florida sheriff departments. I know for a fact that Seminole and Volusia co. each have dive teams. I have heard others are either starting or have newly started dive teams.
not much beach diving here though.

Good luck and speaking as a vet. I'm proud of your accomplishment. the 101 is an honorable unit!

South Florida is a really great place!! World class diving in your backyard!!! West Palm to Key West offers wrecks, reefs and lots of critters.

You said good surfing and diving, that's tough. The best surf in FL begins at Fort Pierce and northward from there. The gradually sloping continental shelf that makes surfing good makes for real long boat rides to get to 80' of water for diving.

Broward County Sheriff's has an opening at the top right now. Our sheriff is going to Club Fed for taking "loans" from contractors and not paying the loans back (aka, he was taking bribes).

What is your housing budget? Are you willing to live in a condo/townhome to save money? Is it just you, or a spouse and kids? Are you willing to rent for a year until you see how you like your new area?

We are having budget difficulties in Florida and cities and counties are all cutting their budgets. I'm not saying that it will be difficult to break into law enforcement down here, but...well it really could be. You might check into Wackenhut, we use them for security in the library I work for and they are excellent. I believe they are always looking for ex-military people to fill their best positions.

Welcome to Florida, it is divers' paradise!

Thanks for the info everyone. I checked out the Wackenhut site you mentioned. Doesn't look like they want to pay people too well. Maybe more for somethin I didn't notice. As for your previous questions, I'm single and have no kids and yes, renting and a condo is just fine. I don't need anything amazing. Just somethin close to the water with ample job opportunities. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Well if you don't mind renting a smallish, oldish apartment, you could live ANYWHERE while you get to know and love Florida! Like...near the beach...how awesome is that?

I only mentioned Wackenhut because it can take a very long time to break into a government (city, county, etc.) law enforcement position down here and that could tide you over and give you experience.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck. This is paradise!

I got out of the military and moved to Sarasota FL. LOVE it here GREAT beaches and awesome dives. Also Sarasota,venice,north port all the police departments are hiring.. im out due to disability but im sure you could get in.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom