back into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you can get in a pool and work on the VERY basic skills? AOW will not show you any of those, at least mine did not. You know like mask clearing, lost reg, BC doff and don. I would do those and be comfortable with them before I thought about AOW as a "refresher".

A Scuba Review / Refresher is exactly what you need to do. It will be a great day out as well. You will meet one of your decided stores instructors, + a bunch of divers in the same boat as your self! Divers looking at getting back into the sport.

Regarding a PPB course the instructor will need to establish your competancy before you start the course. So line up the same instructor to do both would be of great help to you in the long term. They will be able to more acurately address any issue that you might have during you initial refresher course.

Anyways, Have fun mate. and Welcome back!

Your Truly,
Carl Fallon

Hi Imghsowl,Thanks for coming back in the field of diving because I belong to the same field for about 10 years.I think you should get some guidance under proper instructor which will help you in recalling your diving techiniques.

I have seen many videos related to diving at http://www.splashvision.com which will really help you.Don't forget to reply.

Hope you will soon dive in deep blue water.

I guess you're going to grad school at FSU after doing undergrad in upstate NY? Sounds familiar, I did the same thing about 20 years ago. Moving from upstate NY to north Fl is a big change!

Here's what I would do: take a few dives in the pool, get a little confidence back, then take AOW. I have heard that PADI designed AOW to immediately follow OW; probably their motivation is as much financial as it is pedagogical, but it does kind of make sense and I would not feel like you need more experience before taking it. It's not really an "advanced" course at all, it's just extra training and some minimal experience in different kinds of dives you're likely to encounter.

One other bit of advice, don't go night diving in any lakes around tallahassee unless you're interested in combining alligator wrestling with diving as a new "extreme" sport.

Thanks all,

I think for various reasons, including financial and time constraints, I have about decided that I'm going to attempt to get to know some of the other divers in the area, but probably put off actually getting back down myself until April or May, when my first year of grad classes is over.

I'll definately talk to the instructor before signing up for a class (of any kind) and see what they have to say. Again, thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom