DIY Weight Pouches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

My dad is a hunter and orders lead shot in bulk. I can get about 20 pounds of lead from one bag, so I figured I could make my own weights for much less than the regular price. Has anyone done this before or have any ideas how I can contain the shot in pouches? I was thinking just sewing pouches out of the large bag that the shot would originally come in. Any thoughts?

I made a set of pouches to slide onto my hog rig. I used #7 lead shot (you can use bigger shot also) poured into an old pair of pantyhose. I folded the hose over onto itself three times and then tied it.
For the pouches I went to Walmart and purchased two choke tube pouches for about $6 each and put the hosed shot into these. I can pull the shot out easily to help it dry out or if I need to adjust the amount of lead.
You may need some alligator clips or similiar to hold the pouches from sliding forward though.

engdiver:
For the pouches I went to Walmart and purchased two choke tube pouches for about $6 each and put the hosed shot into these.

What are "Choke tube pouches":confused:?

I made my own weight pouches out of rip-stop nylon from a fabric store. My (ex)wife double stitched sewed the rectangular shaped pouches all the way except for the last 3/4in. of one side. I turned them inside out so the seam was on the inside, filled them with a measured weight of lead shot, and finished them by hand stitching the last bit closed.

This was about 8-10 years ago and I'm still using them. None has ever leaked, or torn. They did "milk" a little for the first season but never afterwards. Seems like I paid about 75cents a pound for the shot at the time, and I'm sure the fabric wasn't more than a couple bucks.

Dennis

I used athletic socks. Glued the top over with Aquaseal. They've lasted 9 years now.

Choke tube pouches are used to hold choke tubes for shotguns. Each pouch held 3 plastic tubes for the shotgun chokes. I removed the plastic tubes and just used the pouch.

I started to try to make my own pouches until I found these ready made "fill your own" with velcro:
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-154/044057/XS-Scuba-Weight-Pouch.html

I had a 25# bag of #8 shot and got several different sizes so I could mix and match the weights. For the price it makes it difficult to make a case for making your own pouches.

-Mark-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom