Palau recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dadvocate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a long, drawn out discussion on the benefits of Tubataha or Palau, my girlfriend and I have opted for Palau for our Easter break in April. I like to get things planned early, so I thought I’d ask if anyone can recommend a good live-aboard company that goes to nice sights, has good food, and also has a comfy boat.

Any other tips on Palau and diving are also welcome. Be sure to toss in gems about big fish. I want to see big fish!

Cheers!

Dadvocate:
After a long, drawn out discussion on the benefits of Tubataha or Palau, my girlfriend and I have opted for Palau for our Easter break in April. I like to get things planned early, so I thought I’d ask if anyone can recommend a good live-aboard company that goes to nice sights, has good food, and also has a comfy boat.

Any other tips on Palau and diving are also welcome. Be sure to toss in gems about big fish. I want to see big fish!

Cheers!

O.k. disclaimer here I've not been there myself but I have heard of the Aggressor fleet over there. I personally would think that if you are going to dive a lot that the live aboard would be the best cost per dive.

http://www.aggressor.com/_pdfs/TRP_Palau_Aggressor.pdf

Good luck, wish I could go myself.

if ever you do go and dont decide on a liveaboard i would highly recommend Palau pacific resort. t defintely top of my list in dive vacations.

Palau Pacific Resort is nice. We did a live aboard on the Pacific Explorer (sister ship to Big Blue Explorer) and spent an afternoon lounging around at the pool at PPR. nice place. I think Expedition Fleet, owners of the Explorer ships, is planning on moving one of the big PI based ships up to Palau next season to replace the smaller Pacific Explorer.

visit the jail for a one-of-a-kind experience

you can barter with inmates for carved storyboards

I wish I had them all

The Taj, great Indian food, great family service

Dragon Tei, request they not give you Napoleon Wrasse as substitution ..:(

check out the Japanese WW 2 bunkers on the way to Caroline's

also, two Dog Island has some with writing, where they tallied the days on the walls

I'd stay at least a few days on the island, very cool people there, lots to see!

get some money beads

I was with Pakman on the Pacific Explorer, bit cheaper and still good, but the Palau Aggressor is frankly the balls.

Also, while at Palau Pacific Resort, watch out for raving Singaporeans prone to spontanious emotional outbursts... :rofl3:

Just keeding Tim!!:eyebrow:

Dadvocate:
Be sure to toss in gems about big fish. I want to see big fish!
Don't worry - you'll see the big fish on pretty much every dive !! Grey Reefs, White Tips, Black Tips, Mantas, tuna, eagle rays, sailfish etc....
catherine96821:
The Taj, great Indian food, great family service
And at lunchtime they do an amazing buffet !!! Eat as much as you can !!!

As for liveaboards, The Big Blue is a nice spacious boat, and the food is excellent.

Dadvocate:
Couple of other boat operations from my Lonely Planet guide book.

Big Blue Explorers at www.palauscuba.com ($1700 for seven nights) and
Star Dancer at www.peterhughes.com ($2495 -7 nights) it also says the Palau Aggressor is $2495 for the same 7 nights.

I have another book on Palau that you might look at titled "Papa Mike's Palau Islands Handbook" by Mike Hollywood. Printed 2006, they give Big Blue prices at $1999 with double occupancy. This lists Palau Sport at palausport@palaunet.com price at $300 per day however long you want to stay.

Hope that helps, sorry not to be able to provide eye witness info. Maybe I'll get there one day.:D

there is much more information under the Australia - Pacific Islands area on Palau from quite a few people who dived there with various live aboards. Check to see if your boat supplies a reef hook or not.

Back
Top Bottom