PADI Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's good news Warhammer - I'll have to get me a set - my old ones are getting pretty ratty.
Rick

But as a newbie diver (is that a word), shouldn't I be planning carefully to avoid any deco situations? Does a guy buy a computer with decomp capability so as to have a deco plan B?

Wouldn't having a computer provide significantly more dive flexibility as well as checking accurately on deco limits?

No mike they didn´t have computers.
I carry 2 One Aladin ultra pro and one Suunto as backup. But i still have my tables whith me Call me a coward but i like to be on the safe side. And apart from a broken toe due to a 15 litre bottle that i dropped on it i hd no divingaccident in the last 26 jears ;-) and i hope it will stay that way.
I still think, that they should extend those tables and for all i care mark the decosection red but at least they will acount for screwups like those two guys had 2 weeks ago.

Where do you learn deco diving? Does it eventually come as you take more diving courses? Are the tables readily available?

Kane(adian)

There are a few certifying agencies that teach deco diving.

IANTD, GUE, TDI, PADI, NAUI

There are tables for decompression diving. Or produce your own on computer software. Best take the training before playing with them in the water.

Whatever your reason, don't be in a hurry to jump into decompression diving....Its not for everyone. Aways seems to be debates going on regarding technical agencies, config, techniques etc.

Conch

Scuba1, the Recreational Dive Planner (RDP) was not meant for deco diving. There is some information on it with regard to over-extending the NDL limits by SMALL amounts of time, but this is for EMERGENCY purposes only and SHOULD NOT be construed in any way, shape, or form as deco diving.

You're right saying that those fellows screwed up... big time! Personally, I don't see how having "extended dive tables" have helped people who can't even use the RDP properly or monitor their air.

There is plenty of good training available for people that are serious about deco diving. It takes time, effort, and commitment to do it properly. Something that these fellows obviously didn't have. :p

~SubMariner~

If u guys had not come along I believe a good plan for the two idiots would be.
(1) Go to the safety stop at 15 feet and use up all the air (why waste 300psi )
(2) hit the surface take O2 and watch for DS (bends).
(3) Even the safety stop cant gurantee no DS. Each person is unique.

These guys were out of their depth. They could have been hit by Nitro narcosis or deep water blackout.

Hi Folks

Been awhile since I've been on the board. Good to see the gangs all here!

I think the issue of putting deco information on rec tables is nicely put by Sub M. If they can't a. plan the dive, dive the plan b. moniter their air c. make the decision to ascend in an informed and trained manner... WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I'am pretty sure if they can't read and abide by the rec tables they had,what would be the point of including deco information. It would be ignored or misunderstood.

Well done to the cavers who assisted these two who were obviuosly well beyond there level of training (or ignored what they were taught) and could be labeled as "accidents waiting to happen"

BTW: Water temp up here in the GWN has risen to a balmy 49F...gotta love it!

Gang,

You read this stuff sometimes and you wonder how the human race has managed to last so long! Having too much fun to look at one's watch while diving? Egad!

Rick, I have nice US Navy Diving Manual--loose leaf notebook style-and I like to thumb through every so often. I was not in the Navy, but got the book from an ex-Navy Seal. It is about 20 years old and has all the dive tables, etc. in it. Although I do not do very much planned deco diving, I like to keep aware of this stuff in case the opportunity "arises". At any rate, I like the Navy manual and suggest to others that, if they run across one in used book store, swap meet, flea mkt, etc., it is worth the few bucks that it will likely cost you. A real bonus--a nice history section and some nice photos.

Joewr

Hi, Remora!

Hi Joewr!

Been awhile since I've been able to post to the board. I see there are a few new moderators in town! Congrats! Look forward to being here a little more often.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom