Gladden Spit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been searching on line to find out where the best places to stay are to dive Gladden Spit. Hopefully someone on the board here can help me. Please....:wink:

Rescue Diver68:
I have been searching on line to find out where the best places to stay are to dive Gladden Spit. Hopefully someone on the board here can help me. Please....:wink:

There are many places to stay if you want to dive there....unfortunately, none are very close to it. Placencia is probably the most practical and has a lot of resorts, but it's still 20 miles out to Gladden from there. You could stay at Glover's reef and come in to dive it also but you'll likely be crossing some rougher seas, depending on conditions.
There are other resorts a little north on the mainland that can arrange trips there also. Hamanasi, Jaguar, Kanantik are a few.

I thought Robert's Grove in Placencia had set up one of the fishermen's shacks nearby the Spit as a primitive divers hotel...

Several operators go from Placencia to see the whale sharks, which I presume is what you want. An alternative is to go from Hamanasi at Hopkins. They aren't cheap but by all accounts they are very good and do give value for money, and they seem to have a high success rate in finding the whale sharks.

rpodos:
I thought Robert's Grove in Placencia had set up one of the fishermen's shacks nearby the Spit as a primitive divers hotel...

The shacks on are "Roberts Caye", a little sandbar that's about halfway from the penninsula to Gladden. I hadn't thought of that spot although I pass it often. It is closer.

Since I made my post above, three years ago (!), another option has emerged. Thatch Caye is a private island not far from Tobacco Caye, and they run dive trips to Gladden Spit at appropriate times. They claim an exceptionally high "hit" rate, as they make their trips in the late afternoon when the chance of seeing whale sharks is markedly higher. By that time the boats from more distant venues have already left for the trip home. I haven't actually done the trip yet, but I like the way they do it.

very interesting I found thatch Caye resort but they don't mention Gladden spit, anyone else stay there?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom