Shark Attack, almost caught on video Dolphin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacque Coustrape:
If that's the case, we better protect it and put up a wall or some sort of fence to keep the "Barracudas" out.

You already did that, didn't you know? I can't even enter the US, "the land of the free" LOL!!! :D

Jacque Coustrape:
Yeah...hahaha...your right!!..it's great being born here!! you should visit us sometime.

I would, if your country didn't have such a xenophobic and scared atitude towards some foreingners, I might could.

Wow!! what a novel approach to describing a whole nation based on your biased ideals.
America was and is run by immigrants....look at the Governer of California, he's from Austria. We have a Senator from Lebanon and a congressman from Africa and the governor of Michigan, Jennifer Granholm, was born in British Columbia. So...don't go sour on all of us, because of our laws. We have to think about our national safety first, try having terrorists blowing up one of your major landmarks, killing thousands of people...both citizens and non-citizens!! Do you think Israel cares what the world thinks about their border policy!?!? Nope, and when was the last time you heard of an "El Al Airlines" getting blown up?? none that I know of. These wack-job terrorists need to be taken seriously, so sorry if your feelings got hurt by our border security policy!!. I bet you Mas Pesos, if it happened in Mexico City...your country would put up a wall so fast your head would spin. By the way, just what is Mexico's position on terrorism? you guys have been a little too silent down there!!. We know how our northern neighbors feel.."Haa!" On about the Diving and less Politics...where is the best diving in Mexico? What is this I read about attacking squid down there?

MY 2 cents...and you'll probably give me change:
Haven't come that far in me edumication yet, but from what I know, like someone said, sharks are naturally curios creatures and will nibble at stuff to see if it tastes good (we don't by the way..not a cannibal, but that's why sharks actually eating people is a lot rarer then bites...think of the first time you had mashed rutabagas, you go for a scoop of mashed 'taters...and blah! What the heck??) So, when divers film sharks, they get progressively more and more aggressive, so the trick is to not turn your back on them and when they start to get to close, make a big aggressive move in their general direction(like the dolphin did) and they'll back off... As for the dolphins, they have been know to attack and kill sharks, purely defensive though. If you want to see a really cool video of aggressive porpoise behavior, rent the blue planet series...I believe deep ocean(all of them are good though)... but a pack of transient orcas hunt down a mom and pup gray whale and then drown the pup and eat it...but only the tongue and jaw muscles... Oh and, in the evolutionary comment, we came from the sea, then some of us went back into the sea(marine mammals). Elephants and whales are very closely related (some whales still have remnants of rear leg bones under their skin... like our tails) aka tail-bone.

my1ocean:
does anyone posting read or speak french?

"An ancient greek legend tells how, after a shipwreck, Arion was saved from a shark attack by a dolphin.
Over time, a number of testimonies have come to support that legend. But no visual proof existed...until this day in June 2003.

Attack by a tiger shark on a woman in the Bahamas

The tiger shark - about 2.5m (that's almost 9ft) rises towards the woman...5 dolphins form a line facing the predator....the woman is always unaware of the shark's presence despite the cries of her friends...one of the dolphins dives to chase the shark....

This man-animal interaction elightens us a little more about the behaviour of dolphins towards the human species. In taking on the defense of that woman, this mammal makes us understand that it is equipped with feelings close to ours."

Not a very elegant translation, a native french speaker could easily do better but it will do for this purpose.

I also think the shark was just looking but that does not change the fact of the dolphins' reaction, which does seem to bear out the stories.

Peter

Jacque Coustrape:
Wow!! what a novel approach to describing a whole nation based on your biased ideals.
America was and is run by immigrants....look at the Governer of California, he's from Austria. We have a Senator from Lebanon and a congressman from Africa and the governor of Michigan, Jennifer Granholm, was born in British Columbia. So...don't go sour on all of us, because of our laws. We have to think about our national safety first, try having terrorists blowing up one of your major landmarks, killing thousands of people...both citizens and non-citizens!! Do you think Israel cares what the world thinks about their border policy!?!? Nope, and when was the last time you heard of an "El Al Airlines" getting blown up?? none that I know of. These wack-job terrorists need to be taken seriously, so sorry if your feelings got hurt by our border security policy!!. I bet you Mas Pesos, if it happened in Mexico City...your country would put up a wall so fast your head would spin. By the way, just what is Mexico's position on terrorism? you guys have been a little too silent down there!!. We know how our northern neighbors feel.."Haa!" On about the Diving and less Politics...where is the best diving in Mexico? What is this I read about attacking squid down there?
and just how do your neighbors to the north feel about terrorists ? tell us all enlighten us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom