College Preparations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltimoron

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just got back from about six weeks abroad in Benelux and Israel two days ago. It was a great time and all, but the moment I get off the plane (Avoided that whole strike thing at Heathrow by about an hour, btw :D) my mother insists on taking me out to Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and the big malls and stuff to shop for college stuff. Now I figured this wouldn't really be that hard, considering that I am going to college in Baltimore and all, but I really got it wrong. Now my whole room is covered in piles of sheets, pillows, little hooks, plastic drawers, and pretty much all of Walmart. So my question is, can you guys reccomend anything that I should bring with me? My mother's anxiety has finally spread to me, and September 2 in coming up pretty quick.

Also, I am writing this from my new Mac. It's an iBook G4. Saweet. :crafty: :D

Zack

Yes, go light!
Too much and you will feel overwhelmed! Anything you may need after you get there:
1. Call mom....The send money please speech does work!
2. Mom will ship anything you need if you sounds sad enough!

Best wishes in college!

*remembers college and shutters*
You'll want at least $20 in quarters at all times for snacks, drinks, and laundery.
Ear plugs and one of those sleeping mask things are useful...
Febreeze...
Rubbermaid tubs...
Someplace to hide your snacks and drinks from your roommate and your roommate's friends...
Shower shoes unless you enjoy plantar warts...
Buying books is always an eye opener :rolleyes: What are you studying btw?
I'll probably think of more.
I thought of more:
A pocket recorder for lectures, either digital or one of those mini-cassette ones
A can openner...
A phone card...
Milk crates make good temporary-movable book shelves

cut your stuff in half and double your money

and best of luck!

:wink:

it makes things a LOT easier that my house is pretty close to campus, and by close I mean about a good ten blocks. Far enough to get on the bus, but not enough to buy a phone card. Laundry will probably be done at the house, though I am not really planning on spending much time there. What's really good for lectures and stuff? I need to get on this, since I don't have the faintest idea what college is going to be like. We're not in high school anymore, toto...

What you are studying will determine what is useful for lectures and stuff, as will your personal organizational preferences.
Example: as an undergrad I usually brought a binder with pockets and a legal notepad to lectures as well as a pocket recorder. I also like to use pocket folders. Some people like loose-leaf paper, some people like spiral binders, and some people like bound composition books. Now as a grad student on a larger campus I despise carrying around binders because they are heavy so I prefer my laptop and a pocket folder or better yet my palm pilot, folding keyboard, a pocket folder, and the ubiquitous mini recorder.

Some other things to expect: you will have to do an entrance interview regarding any financial aid you may be recieving (all that means is they make sure you are aware of how much money you borrowed, what the interest rate is and that yes you will pay it back), you'll be forced to sit through a boring seminar about drug and alcohol abuse and sexual assault and your school's policies regarding all three. You will probably have to go to another boring seminar regarding the rules of your residence hall and you might learn about fire drill procedures and such.

I pretty much ditched all the note pads, pens and paper for my laptop. It made it much easier. Esp. for the classes that required typed notes to be turned in at the end of the semester.

All of the stuff recommended is pretty much spot on, but go light. The less you have there the better off you'll be.

BTW, piece of advise if I may? Leave the PS2 and X-box and even PC games at home. I had my roomie the first semester do that, it's pretty much all he did, play games and watch TV. Not good grades....Waste of time. BUT, do have a outlet for relaxing. Walking, biking, etc...

Set up a schedule for yourself every semester. Classes, study time, play time, laundry, everything....and stuck to it. One of the biggest pitfalls for fledgling students is poor time management. Make a plan and go. Be flexible in the respect of important areas. Like if you need more study time, then do it.

I was lucky in the fact that I was an "older" student. The money it cost for college came out of MY pocket, so it was important for me to get the most out of it. Take advantage of the programs the colleges offer. Don't be too proud to get a tutor for difficult areas, most of the time it's free.

Anyway, good luck and congrats.

Darin

I second the tutoring part since that's what I did for employment as an undergrad. Many schools have tutors paid by Federal Work Study so they are free and at your disposal but please be prepared when you visit a tutor with specific questions not : "I don't get this, teach me" and don't go see the tutor the night before your midterm/final and expect to be instantly caught up.

Bring hats for those mornings when all you have time to do is get dressed in whatever's closest to you and no time to wash up.

A good coffee mug or 2. (remember to wash out every so often).

Duct tape. Couple of lamps. Reliable alarm clock.

For lectures I use 3 ring binders in the 1.5" size. We get a packet at the begining of the semester for each class that goes into the binder, then I add loose leaf paper. I carry a whole punch (ittle-bitty thing) to add in handouts, ect. I LOVE index cards. Great way to study for a test. Just put the important stuff on them and haul em around with you. I have tons of pens and highlighters. Sticky notes.

Ok, on to the computer stuff. Get Microsoft Office for Mac Student edition if you don't have it. (nice computer, btw) Get a cheap fast printer, ink, paper, unless your college lets you print for free. You can always take notes on the iBook, if you like.

Make sure your bag is big enough to hold the books you'll need and your iBook. (mine didn't hold my books and PowerBook, so problems) Comfortable clothes, lectures can get looong.

For fun, get an iTunes account, if you don't have one. Get mom to buy a gift card for it.

Ok, think that's all I have. Have fun :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom