Nikon or Canon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad

Contributor
Reaction score
I've an Oly 5060, broken twice... and not my fault :monster:

so I want to change it for a D70 or a 300D.

What do you suggest me?
I don't have optycs.

Thanks, bye, Marco

mad:
I've an Oly 5060, broken twice... and not my fault :monster:

so I want to change it for a D70 or a 300D.

What do you suggest me?
I don't have optycs.

Thanks, bye, Marco

nikon d70 is comprable to the canon e20

The 300d is below both.

But, if you have Nikon lenses. Get the Nikon. You have Canon lenses. Get Canon. Canon E20 is faster if you do sports things. Nikon has better color. Just barely.

Nikon has a better range of Macro lenses.....not sure about wide angles though.

No contest between the D70 and 300D, the D70 wins hands down. The 350D is another proposition though - looks like it's going to a great camera!

I would consider either D70s from Nikon or Canon 20D. Don't really know much about 350D but it is basically a stripped down version of Canon 20D. The Canon has a slight advantage as far as autofocus system is concerned and a bit larger view finder (350D has pretty much the same side viewfinder as D70s). 20D also has ISO100 while D70s only goes down to ISO200.
However the biggest advantage for Nikon (as far as underwater photography is concerned) is the lens selection.
At wide angle lens, Nikon has 10.5mm fisheye lens that Canon has no equavalent of. At macro end, Nikon has 70-180mm macro.
Housing choice is similar except for Nexus which supports Nikon only so if youa are interested in compact aluminum housing with small domeport rather than those big 8 inch dome then you are stuck with Nikon.
I would not worry about 8mp vs 6mp as the difference between the 2 is really minimal. I would try out both camera and see which one you feel most comfortable with then look at the lens selection.
Initially went I went dSLR, I went with Nikon D70. I would not go Canon way because I happen to like the 70-180mm macro very much and the 20D did not offer enough advantage for me otherwise.

You've opened a can of worms.:wink: Nikon users will claim Nikon and Canon users will guide you to Canon.

Both companies make great systems and both have a wide range of lenses. One camera does not suit all and you are going to have to do a bit of leg work to determine what your priorities are.

Do some research on wetpixel.com, digideep.com, steves-digicams.com, dpreview.com and others to find a camera system to suit YOUR needs.

Good luck!! DSLR is a humungous step from the Oly 5050 so have fun!!

Both make great systems.

Nikon IMO has the edge in the lower end DSLR bodies. I like the layout of the Nikon system much better than Canon. Coming from an SLR system, Nikon has a more traditional layout, however once you get into DSLR's they are complex compared to their SLR cousins.

Another thing I like much better about Nikon is the software. Canon tends to have a more processed image. Some like that, others do no. Canon has the edge out of camera in high ISO shooting IMO. The in camera sharpening is a lot more aggresive vs. the Nikon. This means that if you shoot a lot at high ISO's, the Canon image generally requires less post processing.

All this said, I know a number of pro's who shoot with a D70. I do not know of any pro's who shoot with a D300 (Rebel DSLR). Nikon chose to really load the D70/D70s with high end features, where Canon chose to dumb down the D300.

This is a highly subjective decision, so I've attempted to provide information in the area's where the bodies differ. From a lens perspective, Nikon tends to make better WA optics, but both systems have an awesome lens lineup that will break any photographers bank.

I forgot to say that if you are looking at the D70 at the very least you will need to look at Canon's new 350D - it is getting rave reviews and might be just what you need. If you want more than the 350D can give, you'll need to look at the 20D.

Also, remember to look for housing choices if you are intending to take this underwater. Make sure that the manufacturer you prefer supports the camera AND the lenses you want to use. Check for things like manual control of focus on lenses etc...

Another option that you may want to consider is heading towards something like the Fuji 810 instead of the DSLR. The reports are very positive and the images are great. Ike makes a housing for this that supports strobes and add-on lenses. It'll be less than a DSLR set-up, for sure. There are several other options out there, too, if you don't have your heart set on the big bickies!

Looking forward to hearing what you decide!

Check out DP Review for good reviews and comparisons of camera and check DP Challenge for samples of what some of the users of a given camera have done w/ theirs.

You'll find that Canon lovers will say Canon is best and Nikonites will say the same for Nikons. Best bet is that if you already have lenses stick with that brand, if not, go with the best package you can find. To that, by all means stick with name brand; you'll be sorry if you choose a generic one.

Back
Top Bottom