The following is copied from: Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne - 10/03/2011 | MiamiHerald.com
[h=2]Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne[/h] DANIEL SHOER ROTH
Alexia Fodere / For El Nuevo Herald
Paul Kline, one of the divers who was abandoned at sea on Suday by a charter company, poses on the beacch at Sunny Isles Monday, Oct. 3, 2011.
Its a terrifying thought that probably crosses the mind of every deep-sea diver to resurface after a dive, only to discover that the boat that dropped you off is gone. And that predators in the waters are preparing to pounce. And the currents are swift and strong. And night is rapidly approaching.
All of those thoughts and more hit diver Paul Kline in the gut Sunday when he and another diver resurfaced three miles off Key Biscayne with no boat in sight.
We were in shock, said Kline, 44, visiting from Austin. We could easily have died.
Kline, a certified deep-sea diver, and Fernando García Puerta, a tourist from Spain, held on to a small fishing buoy for more than two hours until passengers on a boat spotted them and the captain stopped to rescue them.
It was 6:40 p.m. and conditions were getting worse. Waves were kicking up three to four-feet high and the winds were at 15 knots, according to Elie Trichet, captain of the No Compromise a 82-feet Sunseeker yacht headed back to Miami from Key Largo.
We could see two divers with all their equipment and an inflated red tube. The tube is commonly used in the diving community to signal when they come out of the water.
You could notice a strong feeling of relief [when they saw us], said Trichet, a diving instructor himself. They had been clinging to that buoy for two hours hoping somebody would rescue them.
The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the incident, said Sabrina Elgammal, the Miami
spokesperson .
We were contacted after the divers were found, Elgammal said, declining to elaborate further.
Heres what happened, according to Kline:
The divers were part of a large group that went out Sunday with Captain Mike Beach, of RJ Diving Ventures, a Miami-Beach-based company.
Kline said he paid $85 for the four-hour trip, which includes two one-hour dives at different sites. He and Garcia had just met.
The boat dropped everyone off at one site to see coral reef and marine life. Roughly an hour later, the boat picked up anchor and took the divers to another site.
Fifty-five minutes after diving the second time, Kline and Garcia came up to the surface and the boat was gone.
Kline said they initially thought that perhaps a diver had an emergency, forcing the boat to take off, but they felt another would come along soon to pick them up.
After a while they realized they had been forgotten.
It is unclear how Beach lost track of the two. He did not answer questions about the incident Monday.
Everybody is OK, no one is hurt, everyone is happy. Thats all, he said.
Not everyone is happy. Kline is scheduled to meet Tuesday with Sasha Boulanger, owner of South Beach Divers, which contracts with RJ Diving Ventures, the boat operators.
Boulanger said his company has an excellent record and the incident is the fault of the boat operator.
We are the ones who facilitate the trip and connect A with B, Boulanger said. I must assume a certain degree of responsibility, but unfortunately, this falls on [RJ Divings] back. They are in control of the divers and their security.
Kline said he and Garcia tried to keep up our high spirits while they held on waiting for someone to rescue them.
If the night had fallen, the situation would have turned into panic. García, the Spanish tourist, could not be reached for comment.
Read more: Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne - 10/03/2011 | MiamiHerald.com
[h=2]Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne[/h] DANIEL SHOER ROTH

Alexia Fodere / For El Nuevo Herald
Paul Kline, one of the divers who was abandoned at sea on Suday by a charter company, poses on the beacch at Sunny Isles Monday, Oct. 3, 2011.
Its a terrifying thought that probably crosses the mind of every deep-sea diver to resurface after a dive, only to discover that the boat that dropped you off is gone. And that predators in the waters are preparing to pounce. And the currents are swift and strong. And night is rapidly approaching.
All of those thoughts and more hit diver Paul Kline in the gut Sunday when he and another diver resurfaced three miles off Key Biscayne with no boat in sight.
We were in shock, said Kline, 44, visiting from Austin. We could easily have died.
Kline, a certified deep-sea diver, and Fernando García Puerta, a tourist from Spain, held on to a small fishing buoy for more than two hours until passengers on a boat spotted them and the captain stopped to rescue them.
It was 6:40 p.m. and conditions were getting worse. Waves were kicking up three to four-feet high and the winds were at 15 knots, according to Elie Trichet, captain of the No Compromise a 82-feet Sunseeker yacht headed back to Miami from Key Largo.
We could see two divers with all their equipment and an inflated red tube. The tube is commonly used in the diving community to signal when they come out of the water.
You could notice a strong feeling of relief [when they saw us], said Trichet, a diving instructor himself. They had been clinging to that buoy for two hours hoping somebody would rescue them.
The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the incident, said Sabrina Elgammal, the Miami
spokesperson .
We were contacted after the divers were found, Elgammal said, declining to elaborate further.
Heres what happened, according to Kline:
The divers were part of a large group that went out Sunday with Captain Mike Beach, of RJ Diving Ventures, a Miami-Beach-based company.
Kline said he paid $85 for the four-hour trip, which includes two one-hour dives at different sites. He and Garcia had just met.
The boat dropped everyone off at one site to see coral reef and marine life. Roughly an hour later, the boat picked up anchor and took the divers to another site.
Fifty-five minutes after diving the second time, Kline and Garcia came up to the surface and the boat was gone.
Kline said they initially thought that perhaps a diver had an emergency, forcing the boat to take off, but they felt another would come along soon to pick them up.
After a while they realized they had been forgotten.
It is unclear how Beach lost track of the two. He did not answer questions about the incident Monday.
Everybody is OK, no one is hurt, everyone is happy. Thats all, he said.
Not everyone is happy. Kline is scheduled to meet Tuesday with Sasha Boulanger, owner of South Beach Divers, which contracts with RJ Diving Ventures, the boat operators.
Boulanger said his company has an excellent record and the incident is the fault of the boat operator.
We are the ones who facilitate the trip and connect A with B, Boulanger said. I must assume a certain degree of responsibility, but unfortunately, this falls on [RJ Divings] back. They are in control of the divers and their security.
Kline said he and Garcia tried to keep up our high spirits while they held on waiting for someone to rescue them.
If the night had fallen, the situation would have turned into panic. García, the Spanish tourist, could not be reached for comment.
Read more: Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne - 10/03/2011 | MiamiHerald.com