Error Rebreather scooter divers sucked into dam turbines

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Two rebreather divers using scooters died on a night dive earlier this year, after apparently venturing too close to a Belgian hydro-electric dam.

Christophe Gauder and Frédéric Pochet, both from Liege, disappeared in the Plate Taille reservoir near the southern town of Froidchapelle in Hainaut on 4 January.

The son of one of the men, concerned that he had not been in touch and finding his vehicle still in the lake’s car park, raised the alarm. The Belgian Civil Protection dive team, using 10 professional divers and sonar equipment, began the search the next day.

Gauder, 46, who was single and worked in banking, was described by fellow dive-club members as an experienced diver. Pochet, 59, was not affiliated with the same clubs but also thought to have been experienced.

The 350-hectare lake, a scuba diving and sailing attraction, is part of the Eau d'Heure complex of five reservoirs that make up the largest lake area in Belgium. It includes the Plate Taille dam, built in the 1970s and, at 790m long, the biggest in the country, equipped with a pumped-storage hydro-electric power station.

The lake would be dived while the dam turbines were working, but divers would tend to stay at a depth of 20m, with the turbines clearly audible below. That night two of the three had been in operation.

The top of the entrance tunnel to the turbines lies 50m deep, extending down to 70m. Gauder and Pochet had decided to dive the site using DPVs at around 5pm, while the on-site dive-centre was closed.

The search team found the divers’ equipment, including their rebreathers and DPVs, in a fragmented state, but the men’s remains were not found until the following day, downstream of the dam.

Benoit Michel, who runs the lake dive-centre, stated that the men must have ventured far from the two authorised diving areas and too close to the inlet entrance. At that point they would have been drawn in by the powerful flow.

An autopsy carried out the following day confirmed that the recovered body parts were those of the two divers. “They would have been caught by the huge turbine present in the watercourse,” the Charleroi public prosecutor's office stated.

My heart goes out to the divers' families and friends. I live on a lake that has both water out flow gates at the dam, and water intake pipes at a plant that siphons water from the lake for sale to surrounding communities. Both areas scare the hell out of me, and I can't imaging trying to dive anywhere near either of those two death traps. But I imagine many visiting divers are not even aware of the danger and risk until they get too close to them.

I have wanted to dive in the Dillon Dam Reservoir in Colorado to see the remnants of the old town before it was flooded, but the thought of being swept into the water intakes for Denver has scared me out of even thinking about it.

Although I wonder if you got caught in the current flow towards an impeller/tunnel etc, would emergency inflation save you at the cost of DCS?

The agency I used to work for had at one time a hydro power plant, with two turbines.

Our intakes were protected by what were called "trash racks", which were a mesh made up of welded steel strap on an about 8 or 9 inch spacing. They were designed to keep things like waterlogged tree trunks from going through the turbines, but probably would have prevented this type of accident, as well.

Our intakes were protected by what were called "trash racks", which were a mesh made up of welded steel strap on an about 8 or 9 inch spacing. They were designed to keep things like waterlogged tree trunks from going through the turbines, but probably would have prevented this type of accident, as well.

Depending on the flow rate the Delta P [pressure differential] could potentially suck the article [diver?] up against the grating with such force as to either: prevent movement [thus drowning diver] or cause the article to pass through the gratings into the water pipe. Remember tree trunks are much more solid than humans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom