Suggestion Prevent New Replies to Old Postings in Classifieds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
VikingDives

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Locking posts after some time would keep the classified section more relevant. Newer ads would get more traction. Older posts would avoid being recycled by users asking if the item was still available.

My thought is that after 30 days of inactivity, or 90 days after the post is made, the thread is locked, so new replies are not allowed. Doing so would keep newer, more active posts alive and still allow people to contact the OP via DM on older posts, lowering the signal to noise ratio.

And for the new people without enough posts to initiate DMs?
IMHO - It isn't that hard to get a post count to enable such activity....

@Akimbo , Just to clarify, I upvoted the idea, hoping that specifics are worked out before implementation. Is that a fair assumption when voting a topic such as this one?
Thanks.
Erik

And for the new people without enough posts to initiate DMs?
I mean, let’s face it, you probably had 300 posts in your first week, after getting over your “shy period” in the first hour 😂!

Sorry, situations today are making it too easy, between this and the poop storm post.

IMHO - It isn't that hard to get a post count to enable such activity....
I’ve seen a bunch of dumb a$$ spam posts because people wanted to get their count up. Think of ASD on steroids. 🤣😂

I think it would be bad for someone wanting to sell stuff. New divers might be looking for some piece of gear and find it here from their favorite search engine only to discover they can't reach the person who listed it.

I'd prefer to see some kind of reminder to the OP of a for sale thread languishing. "You have xx for sale posts that have not sold yet, and the oldest is xx days old". If there's a xf feature/addon for that.

Maybe not allowing any comments except from the OP?

@Akimbo - sede post #6 from @lexvil. This is a really interesting idea to revise the classifieds...

It is a fairly complex manual process to set permissions to make that happen. Relatively easy options include:
  1. The entire thread could be closed to new replies, including the OP.
  2. The Title Prefix can be changed. Maybe a new title prefix like "Abandoned" or "Inactive"?
  3. Titles can be edited with some other visual indicator like ⛔, 🚫, or 🔇 meaning it is inactive.
  4. Some combination of 1-3.
A criteria would have to be developed like "X" amount of time that an OP has not responded plus someone clicking Report for mods to take action.

I'd prefer to see some kind of reminder to the OP of a for sale thread languishing. "You have xx for sale posts that have not sold yet, and the oldest is xx days old". If there's a xf feature/addon for that.

We could recommend that the OP change their "Watch" status to receive email notifications when posting in Classifieds, but I don't know of a way to force that setting.

1659019257404.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom