Malaysia and Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatguycory

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, so...

I'm currently in Bali, have just done Raja Ampat, and will do Komodo in a few days. Now, I want to check out one destination in Malaysia and one in the Philippines. I'm looking for recommendations with the following criteria in mind:

-I want to keep the travel fairly short and easy. If it takes multiple flights plus many hours of ground transport and then some, I probably don't have the steam left for it.
-I'm traveling solo, and would love to find areas with friendly active people (playing some tennis would be tops, with other things like yoga being a bonus) where I could probably make some friends. I don't need to dive every day. It's a long trip (already been a month), and low cost things to do other than diving are of interest to break things up a bit.
-Low cost, please! The reason I'm currently taking the time to travel is that I lost my job. 😆

Posting because I've googled around a good bit and didn't manage to really narrow it down super well. Anyone got some well-informed suggestions?

Thanks!

@thatguycory

Malaysia:
Tioman; flight to Singapore and then transfer via Mersing

Philippines:
Moalboal; flight to Cebu and 3hrs by bus.

No idea what kind of above water activities available on both places.

Koh Tao in Thailand is certainly very budget friendly but getting there does require a bit of travelling

Okay, so...

I'm currently in Bali, have just done Raja Ampat, and will do Komodo in a few days. Now, I want to check out one destination in Malaysia and one in the Philippines. I'm looking for recommendations with the following criteria in mind:

-I want to keep the travel fairly short and easy. If it takes multiple flights plus many hours of ground transport and then some, I probably don't have the steam left for it.
-I'm traveling solo, and would love to find areas with friendly active people (playing some tennis would be tops, with other things like yoga being a bonus) where I could probably make some friends. I don't need to dive every day. It's a long trip (already been a month), and low cost things to do other than diving are of interest to break things up a bit.
-Low cost, please! The reason I'm currently taking the time to travel is that I lost my job. 😆

Posting because I've googled around a good bit and didn't manage to really narrow it down super well. Anyone got some well-informed suggestions?

Thanks!
Hi. Do you have a report on Raja Ampat?

@thatguycory

Malaysia:

Philippines:

Koh Tao in Thailand is certainly very budget friendly but getting there does require a bit of travelling
Thanks! I'll check out those options a bit.

Unfortunately, we're past the season for diving in Thailand if I'm not mistaken. The plan is to head back to the US sometime in June.

Hi. Do you have a report on Raja Ampat?
It was lovely. I got to see all sorts of critters I'd been wanting to see (multiple on the first dive). I haven't made an official full length report though, if that's what you're asking.

Thanks! I'll check out those options a bit.

Unfortunately, we're past the season for diving in Thailand if I'm not mistaken. The plan is to head back to the US sometime in June.

Koh Tao is on the East coast of the Kingdom so it is THE time now.

Koh Tao is on the East coast of the Kingdom so it is THE time now.
See, and this is why I posted. 😆 The Google Machine likes to lie to me, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thank you!!! Thailand sounds like a great addition to this trip.

@thatguycory

Malaysia:

Philippines:

Second vote for Pulau Tioman. Check out Bamboo Hill Chalets.

Koh Tao is def budget friendly but there's a reason for that. It sucks.

I have yet to get to RoP.

Second vote for Pulau Tioman. Check out Bamboo Hill Chalets.

Koh Tao is def budget friendly but there's a reason for that. It sucks.

I have yet to get to RoP.
Could you elaborate on the nature of the suck? (The diving? The town? What's the reason?) Also, have you dove the larger surrounding islands? I'm seeing I could probably play some tennis if I went to the islands of Koh Samui or Koh Pha Ngan, which could be lovely.

@thatguycory

1. Koh Tao: You either hate or love it!
2. The infamous FULL MOON party in Koh Phangan
3. Koh Samui is huge while Koh Tao is tiny.
4. Ferry to Koh Tao always stop at Samui first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom