Raja Ampat Alternative in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aj_a

New
Reaction score
Me and my wife have a Bali trip planned for July and wanted to take to opportunity to also visit Raja Ampat for some diving resorts. We are beginner divers with <10 dives and did a bunch of planning and decided to stay at Raja Ampat Biodiversity for a short 4 day stay. We know our dive site options are limited for our experience levels, but heard there are plenty of beginner dive sites and also love the idea of being in a nice remote beach and going for a swim in the house reef at any moment. Although I did read a lot of mixed reviews about weather conditions we are getting cold feet since we already are limited by our experience, but also dont want our land time to be not so great from wind and rain. We dont mind a bit of rain, but dont want to waste all this time and money getting there and not being able to do anything.

Raja Ampat seems pretty difficult to get to unless we're already within Indonesia, and it doesn't really make sense for us to travel there unless were visiting Bali, but Bali and Raja Ampat seem to have opposite seasons, so I am considering taking the risk. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences in Raja Ampat in July and can give details on conditions and limitations, or if there are any similar alternatives? I see Komodo popping up a lot, but I also read that it is less beginner friendly and the land experience doesnt seem as paradisey to Raja Ampat. If anyone has recommendations there or anywhere else in Indonesia that would be great! Were mostly looking for a decent place with a nice house reef, more reef dives as opposed to muck, and a decent paradisey mid-ranged resort with some excursions.

Thanks!

Apart from it being wet season….It takes a lot of time and effort to get there. The domestic flight isn’t that cheap. You’re flying across a chunk of Indonesia and back and then you’re looking at a 1.5-2 hour boat transfer each way out of Sorong after that. The transfer may cost extra if you’re not leaving on their free transfer days. 4 days of time there along with no fly time means very little diving since you usually don’t dive on arrival day. (Some exceptions can sometimes be made but this is between you and the op.) Your experience aside, I would not suggest this. It’s too little time and you won’t even get the highlights and frankly, you won’t experience Raja Ampat at its best nor will you appreciate it until you dive other places. Honestly, I’d suggest you go to Komodo instead. It is prime season there and visibility is also better there. It’s a quick 1 hour flight from Bali and the beaches you can tour, snorkel from, and experience are much better anyway. Raja Ampat isn’t known for its beaches apart from some surface intervals. You can do this during your no fly time and see some Komodo dragons. There is great diving there for beginners but be sure to go back once you’re comfortable in current and/or with reef hooks. For now…Go with a day boat. You will lose less time in transit and will get to enjoy more time on the ground or in the water.

Alor is another option and it is prime time for it but harder to get to than Komodo. You’ll eat up time getting to and from if you only have 4 days so I don’t recommend it. Dive with a reputable op like Alor Divers. They know the sites well and can keep you out of the current. Great house reef. Beautiful 400m white sand beach.

Bangka (Murex Bangka) also ticks the boxes. Beautiful white sand beach for lounging and snorkeling/diving. Lots of wide angle sites nearby. Easiest diving out of all my suggestions. Much better than Bunaken nearby, IMO. Fly to Manado to get there. Also a good time since it’s dry season.

Back
Top Bottom