m/v Carribean Explorer II - Any Views???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray Mike

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of booking up on liveaboard Caribbean Explorer II for a week at the end of Feb. Anyone bin there, done that, got the T-shirt - and some views? The trip runs from St Kitts to St Maarten.

Cheers - and thanks in advance...

Mike, I'd kindof enjoy any responses you get as well since my wife and I will be onboard the 21st through the 28th.

Maybe we'll see you there!

I did one of the last trips on the Carribean Explorer I on that route (November 2002), so I can comment on the diving which was very good, but not the new boat. I believe reports I've read on Rodale's board were good. We enjoyed the trip on CE I, good crew, accomodations, and food.

Do you have any particular questions?

Ralph

Hi Moray Mike,

So, did you end uptaking the trip? If so, how was it?

I'm trying to book something for early to mid-April. I want to try a liveaboard. I'm currently looking at a few different options. Any helps appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Just got my latest copy of "Undercurrent" and it's the best one yet, I think. The lead story was a article about a week on this boat - sounds great.

I hope to go early in 2005, but I'd like to see some reports here on SB...? :jump013:

don :yl2jump:

Just got back home after a week on the Carribbean Explorer II. Nice boat, nice, crew and nice bunnch of divers. Have to say diving was a mixed bag. Viz not great cos it was blowing most of a gale all week and my poor better half got really badly stung by jelly fish right though her 5mm suit!

The way I would like to go would be like this:

Friday - Fly to St.Kitts to overngiht there.

Saturday - Dive Nevis, across the channel, with a dive operator I've used there before - Austin somebody - who knows where the thermal vents are on a 100 foot reef. :D

Then board the C-Explorer II for their schedule...

Following Friday at St.Marteen - leave luggage on boat, take Ferry to St.Barths for a night on this delightful French island. :multi:

Saturday - Ferry back, retrieve bags, catch plane, go to sleep. :sleeping:

Don, that's certainly an option.

The one frustrating snag with Caribbean Explorer II is the fact that it starts and finishes at different ports. This all adds to the cost and duration of travel.

For example, we had to fly back from St Maartenn to St Kitts. 25 minute flight but it cost $95 each plus taxi fares and airport tax.

Then in St Kitts we had to wait 8-hours for our return flight to UK which went via Tobago annd again pay airport tax.

We left the boat in St Maarten at 0600 on Saturday and got home to London at 1400 on Sunday. That sort of travel schedule at my time in life is a pain in the proverbial! :frown2:

DandyDon:
Just got my latest copy of "Undercurrent" and it's the best one yet, I think. The lead story was a article about a week on this boat - sounds great.

I hope to go early in 2005, but I'd like to see some reports here on SB...? :jump013:

don :yl2jump:

Sounds like a good plan. If you get a trip together we may be interested.

Booked this trip for this fall around Thanksgiving. Going to St Martin two days before I board the Carrib II on that Saturday l need a place to stay for two nights in St Martin, do not want to rent a car and want to walk to A town and restaurants. Any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom