An avoidable tragedy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to ask, I was just curious. I for one would not want to rent the equipment knowing that the last person to draw a breath from it, didn't return. Just a little superstitious, I guess.

Hi Mario

On the question of communication i just saw this site.

Untill we all get full face masks and so on maybe we could learn these. That could be on the advanced/adventure course or after say 20 dives.

Any comments?

PS. I know they wouldn't work in a situation like the one you described in the start of this tread. But they might come in handy (pun intended) in other situations.

DameDykker,
I checked out the site, and while it looks good in the dry world or even a world where you can see your buddy, and it's just one buddy we're talking about then it'll work. But what happens when you want to communicate with all divers in the water... as in 'we have a missing diver, last seen 100 yards off the port side of the boat in 50ft of water. Please check your cylinder pressure and NoDeco time and assist in searching that area. Thank you.' Or communicating with topside like saying 'Topside this is Mario, I just got done exploring a wreck at 120ft, and came across an entangled turtle here at 25ft. I misjudged my air supply and require an addition cylinder to complete my deco requirement'

My point is that with this type of gear, the possibilities are endless!

Mario :(

Yes, you are right - obivious.

But untill then I think we could improve our under water conmmunication with more usefull signs. I'll try to discuss the signs during my nitrox course this weekend - and maybe try them on the dives.

Warhammer,
I was planning on diving with the boat the diver was lost on today, but the weather isn't looking too good. But I'll ask them what they are going to do with the gear, and get back to you. You've got me curios now...

Mario :(

Ok....The weather here has been bad for 2 months! I'm giving serious thought to hooking up with Don and diving the stock tank.:)

Warhammer,

Dont do it, lmao. We can still save you. We haven't heard much from Don anyway. Maybe someone does need to go check his tank and make sure he's not low on water...

It seems like a lot of you fight the thought of underwater communications. Why is that? I think it is the fact most do not understand them.

1) you don't have to have a full face mask. You can use a mouth mask. You use your own 2nd stage regulator and your own mask with a mouth mask. Not much different from standard diving.

2) Full face masks are really not as bad to use or as complicated as they look.

Diving takes on another dimension when someone who knows an area swims along teaching you about interesting things.

What is the good news you may ask? If you contact Ocean Technology Systems and let them know you are interested in underwater communications, they will take you along when they test (on a room bases). They will walk you through the equipment and let you try it out! It can change the way you think about underwater communications after you understand and have tried them.

I will admit, you don't always need or want a comm unit on every dive, but if a life threatening situation happens your way, you'll wish someone had one!

Deep Sea,
I don't think we're fighting it at all, I think you possibly misunderstood the objections. U/W comm. for $39.95, now let's get real. We all know to have quality comm. you need to spend some money and the FBNs just aren't gonna cut it. When I get ready to buy comm. gear, you can bet your bootie that it will be from OTS, the pioneer & leader in this technology.

Disclaimer-----I no way, shape or form am employeed by nor am I compensated in any way for the opinion I have stated here.

BTW how does the AGA mask compare to the Ocean View or OCean Edge or Ocean something or another.

Would like unbiased opinions please.

Don

Don,

Let me see here, how can I put this in words you could understand ....

The AGA mask is to Pink, Frilly, Pokadot Spandex as the others are to plain slacks... Comprende ???

hehe

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom