An avoidable tragedy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will do. It may be a while before there's any rock solid new develpoments on the tragedy, but I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm planning on heading out to do a few more Yukon dives this week. If anyone would like to join me, let me know. I like using the Blue Escape http://www.blueescape.com out of the Quivera Basin in Mission Beach.

Yes, I would like to spend more time diving with him, unfortunately he is in Thailand (from France originally, named his kid Jacques after Cousteau), and I am in New York.

I totally agree with what Mario said about the full face mask & comm. unit. But on the other hand from reading the sequence of events this is what I think happened.

1) All 3 divers entered water, never gained visual contact
2) Monica, giant stride into cold water, 57 deg is cold water to a WWW, like myself.
4) Cold water shock to her face, lost her reg, panic set in
5) In a state of panic, unable to recover her reg and NO presence of mind to grab octo.
6) DROWNED

Cause of death- UNTRAINED DIVER and BUDDIES

This is truly a sad event and my heart goes out to the friends and families of the deceased.

This should not go on the log of the Yukon or the Dive Boat, as neither of them were at fault. It all comes back to the certification process.

Don,
There is an unofficial opinion as to what happened in the tragedy. Some individuals on the boat at the time said that it may have happened during the chaos of trying to secure the loose cylinder. It's speculated that Monica was possibly kicked in the face, dislodging her regulator and causing her to drown.

We all know that a loose cylinder is not a life threatening emergency, and could have been delt with calmly while holding onto a stationary object like the wreck itself.

Gear assembly, donning and proper buddy checks are part of every agencies training standards. Who knows what happened on that wreck, midwater in SoCal's green waters... only God I suppose.

May she rest in peace
Mario :(

I agree that a communication system is a good investment, but the "buddy phone" and other communication systems that operate through your regulator are soooo expensive for the average diver. I suggest investing in a "mini-hammerhead" or other underwater signaling device. Sound carries further under water, and even if you can't tell what direction its coming from, you can have a signal to "come back" or to surface. Or...heck...use your dive knife and tap on your tank! If you hear 3 taps, 4 taps, or even the rhythem of "jingle bells" you know there is a problem!

Of course, if she did go into shock after hitting the water, that probably wouldn't have saved her...but it might have...we'll never know.

As for the "advanced" class...PADI did realize the "error of their marketing ways" and changed the name to "adventures in diving". It is no longer meant to certify someone as an "advanced" diver, but simply as a diver that has had further experience than what is taught in open water. I think, rather than looking at the actual c-card a diver has, shops should ask to look at the diver's log book. That will show more of what I diver has experience more than any card ever will.

I am by no means bashing PADI, they are afterall whom I've aquired my training thus far. But you should check their course again. They did add Adventure Diver, but they didn't do away, rename or change in any other way, the Advanced OW Course. Here are the requirements as listed by PADI:

Adventure Diver

To become a PADI Adventure Diver you need your PADI Open Water certification (or equivalent) and the desire to experience thrilling adventures. This in-water performance based program includes a total of three dives from the list below:

• Altitude
  • Boat
  • AWARE-Fish Identification
  • Deep
  • Dive Propulsion Vehicle (DPV)
  • Drift
  • Dry Suit
  • Multilevel
  • Night
  • Peak Performance Buoyancy
  • Search and Recovery
  • Underwater Naturalist
  • Underwater Navigator
  • Underwater Photography
  • Underwater Videography
  • Wreck
If you're 15 or older, and a PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent, then you're ready for the Adventure Diver program. Or, if you're a PADI Junior Open Water Diver or equivalent and between the ages of 12-14, there's the PADI Junior Adventure Diver program.

After successfully completing the program, you'll receive the PADI Adventure Diver certification. Now, take the next step! Complete two more adventure dives (must include deep and navigation) and become a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver.

Advanced OW Diver

The Advanced Open Water Diver program has something for everyone. This exciting program includes a total of five adventure dives from the following list (must include deep and navigation dive)
  • Same Speacialities as above.
If you're 15 or older, and a PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent, then you're ready for the Advanced Open Water Diver program. Or, if you're a PADI Junior Open Water Diver or equivalent and between the ages of 12-14, there's the PADI Junior Advanced Open Water Diver program.

After successfully completing the course, you'll receive the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification. This allows you to participate in more advanced diving activities with a maximum recommended depth limit of 30 metres/100 feet, in addition to the qualifications listed for PADI Open Water Divers.

Warhammer, very good job on listing the AOW course choices and paths.

Somewhere along the line someone assumed that shock had something to do with the accident. I don't beleive that is the case here. She hit the water and began to descend, it was a few minutes after they all disppeared beneath the water that whatever happened, happened.

Here is the latest from the tragedy: The dive shop and boats http://www.blueescape.com air and gear were checked & investigated and returned to the shop. They were all in perfect working order. The air they have there is hydrocarbon free air, and I would have to say that I've done a few hundred dives with it, with no problems.

The diver in question, Monica, had been in colder and rougher water before, some with the same two family members she was diving with the day of the accident. She was reported to be in good medical condition, and there was no apparent medical complications contributing to the incident.

The reason she is gone is not know, perhaps it never will be.

There was however another local diver fatality this past weekend. The details aren't clear, and all I have thus far is heresay, but I've decided to start another thread regarding it.

This is sorta off topic, but I thought I'd ask anyway. What happens to the gear? I assume it was rented since you said it was returned to the shop. Will they retire it or put it back into their rental program?

Warhammer, and interesting question that I haven't really thought about. But I'm assuming that since it was in good working condition, the shop would service it once again and then return it to the rental locker. Who knows? I can ask if you like, I plan on being out there again in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom