Question Am I wrong to not want a modern computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I am new to diving and have been using an old Suunto Vyper Air. So far I like it, it tells me everything I want to know. I want to get a backup now, but not sure if I want a new computer or find another older one.

Am I wrong to be apprehensive about modern computers requiring software updates? I’m just thinking about practically every modern device I have being glitchy and prone to failures that require calling some tech center to get it sorted out… not how I want to spend precious vacation time, on the phone. I like the idea that back in the Vyper Air era, they had to get it right the first time, no “release it and fix it as problems come up” business model.

What are your experiences with modern computers like Perdix or Luna 2, etc.? Are there any models where glitches/failures are unheard of?

Thanks,
Trust me. The Vyper Air did not get it right the first time. I bought a new one in July, 2015. It went bonkers in July, 2016, practically one year to the day I bought it. It was, fortunately, under a two year warranty, so I took it back to the LDS I bought it from. They sent it in to Suunto and after a few months, Suunto sent me a brand new Vyper Novo. Luckily, I had a couple of other computers I could use during the interim. While I personally no longer use it, my granddaughter does, which is fine for her since she doesn't dive nearly as much as my wife and I do. And the conservatism of the Suunto works well for her.

But if yours is still working, good for you. But don't think it can't go belly up at any time. Suuntos from that time, just not the Vyper Air, are know to have pressure sensor issues. So a back-up computer is a really good idea. But if it is a computer other than Suunto, you will have to use the Suunto as your primary as most other DCs are going to be less conservative and will show a longer NDL time than the Vyper Air.

I've only been diving for a year. I started out with an aqualung i300c since I got a online deal on it. After about 14 dives, it went into gauge mode and stopped recording dives in the log. Aqualung is having financial difficulties and I didn't get a response from their support folks.

After that, I bought a peregrine from my LDS (my LDS sells shearwater and garmin dive computers). Wow, what a difference in usability between the peregrine and i300c. The peregrine display is intuitive, very easy to read, customizable and the features are well thought out and easy to use.

The peregrine may have asked to check for an update the first time I turned it on and it connected to the net. I don't believe it needed an update. It hasn't asked for an update since, nor have I heard about any updates for peregrines. If I ran into an issue with my peregrine or had a question about an update for my peregrine, I would ask my LDS - they stand behind the products they sell. If you get a dive computer from your LDS, they can help you with any issues you encounter.

If your computer works for you great. I haven't had any issues with my peregrine and really love it's readable display, features that are easy to use and knowing that my LDS can help me with any issue I run into with the peregrine.

Would you want to keep using Windows 7 or a cell phone so old that doesn’t support software upgrades? If so, why?

Because I don't care for rounded corners on my windows all that much?

Software running inside recreational dive computers has not changed since the 90s. Except maybe whatever "adaptive" woo SP is putting into theirs.

BTW, I consider the "Firmware/software update" feature as a must feature when I am trying to decide what computer to buy these days. We didn't have this option in the years past (actually, not too long ago). The ability to update the firmware/software makes it easier and less costly to add new features or make the computer perform better to the computer you bought a year or more prior. This is far better than having to buy a new computer, it is "future proofing" your investment. It is a good thing or a "pro" not a "con."

I'm going to use a bottom timer and tables. And for the one local quarry where you can't get deeper than 45 feet or so, and most of the diving will be at less than 20, I'm not going to bother with anything other than those.

That's sooooo boring, why bother?

The real issue was that Suunto was aware/made aware of the defective sensor issue and chose to not only ignore it, but continued to distribute/sell these computers. This earned them quite a negative reputation and the class action lawsuit that was settled with them offering replacements to original owners in North America. Those in Europe (and I assume Asia) were jilted as they were not included in the settlement and had to foot the bill out of pocket for a replacement/new computer.

Yep, this happened to me at least 4 times, Cobra and D9.

One nice reason for a newish computer is the ability to transfer your logged dives via Bluetooth to a PC or Apple device. The other, in the case of the Peregrine, is not to worry about changing batteries. Just stick it on the charging plate.

Software running inside recreational dive computers has not changed since the 90s. Except maybe whatever "adaptive" woo SP is putting into theirs.
What dive computer from the 90s was capable of running Buhlmann 16, VPM-B, or actual RGBM? The Liquivison X1 didn't appear until 2007 and as far as I remember was the first to be able to do so. It was several years after that before any could communicate via Bluetooth for logging or firmware updates.

RGBM was published in early 2000s -- so I'm wrong about the 90's. Thalmann's model started in 1980, ZH-L16 was developed in 1986 as was VPM, DSAT report is datestamped 1993, and Eric Baker's "Confusion" is from late 90s I think, certainly after 1998.

No, they did not have dive computers running those models in the 90s, but the models themselves did not change since early 2000s.

I'd have to agree with everyone else that modern computers are better. To my knowledge, firmware updates to the vast majority of dive computers is very rare and entirely optional. It should be nothing like phone upgrades, which run without your permissions, where things randomly break, new apps are installed, and so on.

That said, most older dive computers are much less expensive, work just fine, and are absolutely fine to use as a main and/or backup dive computer. You could even ditch the dive-computer entirely if you wanted and use a depth gauge and dive-tables.

Back
Top Bottom